Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am still in awe as to how fast they grow. I wish I could do the killing, as I would love to have some rex and have their pelts to use..... maybe I will find someone who can do them for me..... I had an opportunity to get 6 standard Rex rabbits last year at the poultry swap and passed them by because of the upcoming ankle replacement and because I didn't know what to do with them if I had babies and then couldn't kill them. They were nice rabbits and cheap... people wanted to sell out because they were moving and she was expecting on top of it.... Should've gotten them..... Oh well, maybe next year......

Does anyone raise their rabbits in "colonies"? My friend in CT years ago had a couple that stayed in the hay mow and she gave them water and feed plus they got all they wanted in hay.... made nests and raised a bunch of babies....just wondered how that worked....
Hi Jan! They do grow quite fast!
My friend that gave us our first rabbits raised them in a colony! I'm afraid that some escaped several years ago and now live outside his colony and have taken over and destroyed the plants on his property! He's going to have to get them under control before they leave the boundaries of his land and get into the local orchards! The only way I would ever raise them colony style would be with a concrete floor and walls, which would be quite expensive and it is very difficult to control the breeding unless you can keep the males and females separated!

Last edited:

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Colony breeding sounds good in Utopia, but the truth is that domestic rabbits have been bred for many, many years to live in cages. Roomy, clean cages with water, feed and proper care, controlled breeding , IMO is the way to go.
I agree...it would be so hard to not only control the breeding, but also making sure that they are healthy! I just don't see how you could do that in a colony setup!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've been thinking abut you, and wondering how you are doing.
Good to hear from you!
Christmas blessings to you and your family.
Thank you! It's been quite a year for everyone hasn't it! We are all healthy which is a very good thing! Hopefully I will get to make it up your direction next year at some point! Merry Christmas to you and your family too! Stay safe and healthy! God Bless!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks.... I have chronicled the LOOOOONG BS with getting in the house, in my journal..... not all in yet, partly due to my wanting to try to get things put in place as I go rather than 9 million boxes to pack, piled up, then all to unpack. Plus with my knees I am not getting it done as fast as I want.... waited forever on the floors to get done.... BUT ..... I am moving stuff daily and had hoped to be done by Jan 1st. It will be more like the middle of January.... but I am making progress. DS had a pos test and was feeling "fluish" with headaches but coming back along now..... his gf had a very mild case of headaches and backaches..... and I have been juggling work inbetween.... It will be done soon. Challenges with needing a new heating system now.... but... I'll get it figured out.
Happy New Year too!!!!