Drunk Acting Doe Recovery

phrypa

Just born
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed a 2.5 year old doe acting 'drunk', hard time getting up, when trying to walk would stumble. Good appetite, no fever, and otherwise seemed normal, would sleep next to her daughter like usual. I started her on Penicillin and Vitamin B every 6 hours. She seems to have recovered quite a bit, still slow to get up but walks much better and eating hay as usual. Some history, The goats still have access to pasture but there is minimal green left, just some really short grass, hay has been out for a few weeks but only as an 'extra'. There is a chance the doe ate some grains that were tossed out for the chicken. Nothing off in the rest of the herd.

Giving the B injection is pretty easy, but the penicillin IM is difficult, the doe is getting stronger and makes it difficult. Would recovery this quick indicate its the Vitamin B doing the work and we can cut out the Penicillin, or should we continue both?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed a 2.5 year old doe acting 'drunk', hard time getting up, when trying to walk would stumble. Good appetite, no fever, and otherwise seemed normal, would sleep next to her daughter like usual. I started her on Penicillin and Vitamin B every 6 hours. She seems to have recovered quite a bit, still slow to get up but walks much better and eating hay as usual. Some history, The goats still have access to pasture but there is minimal green left, just some really short grass, hay has been out for a few weeks but only as an 'extra'. There is a chance the doe ate some grains that were tossed out for the chicken. Nothing off in the rest of the herd.

Giving the B injection is pretty easy, but the penicillin IM is difficult, the doe is getting stronger and makes it difficult. Would recovery this quick indicate its the Vitamin B doing the work and we can cut out the Penicillin, or should we continue both?
I would be worried to cut out the penicillin too soon....

Antibiotic resistant stuff and all... so I would keep on going. Maybe try to brainstorm an easier way to inject her.

Great that she is improving.