drying up milking

Studmunchkins

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I need to do a fast dry up of milk on my doe. I have a nigerian dwarf doe that I am milking after she lost her kid in January. I really did not plan to be milking right now and she is not putting out as much as she did previous to this birth. I was trying to continue milking until my other doe kids, JIC the milk is needed. But I have a 4 weeks before that happens. The doe I am milking is only making 2 cups a day 1x a day. Her udder is not FULL as it was during previous season. Recently I have had to catch her to milk.(neither one of us is doing well with the loss) I don't have a sub milker that I would ask to chase a goat to milk. Plus they would never catch her with out knowing her moves. .I have to leave town in a few days, so here I am. Any suggestions? How bad will it get for her to go 48 hours without milking? She is putting out about 16 oz a day... I I am thinking I will pull a little off the next few days, hoping 3 days of less will be enough to start her drying, and give no alfalfa. I don't give grain, just sweet beet pulp and they eat grass hay and graze on dirt.

Lcampbell1515

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know when we had to fast dry a doe and we just completely stopped grain and only milked her a bit just to relieve pressure twice a day for a week. After that we went to once a day for a couple days until we weren't getting much more than a couple ounces then stopped completely and she seemed to be fine.

Lcampbell1515

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know when we had to fast dry a doe and we just completely stopped grain and only milked her a bit just to relieve pressure twice a day for a week. After that we went to once a day for a couple days until we weren't getting much more than a couple ounces then stopped completely and she seemed to be fine.
Sorry didn't see you didn't give grain at first.. Alfalfa is super high in protein so pulling back on that might help. Just milk her a bit a couple times a day to relieve pressure and that should help dry her up. Just be sure to not milk her dry or she'll keep producing more to fill her utters.