Duck Chat withdrawal ....

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got the ducks to venture much further. I took the container of mealworms and kept shaking it saying, "This way." like I do with my dogs.
They followed me. But, I was really nervous that fox would show up and I didn't have anything on me to shoot it with. Guess, I need to go out armed so that I am ready in case he pounces. ;)
Yes..Fox are sly and ruined my fun of letting my Birds out alone..:barnie..That's why I'm so worried when they head down to my Husbands shop..We have lots of trees and tall grass for predators to hide..:th

Soon2Be

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes..Fox are sly and ruined my fun of letting my Birds out alone..:barnie..That's why I'm so worried when they head down to my Husbands shop..We have lots of trees and tall grass for predators to hide..:th
It is pretty open out here. I guess I will only let them out when I am out. But, they still hurried and got back into the shed and then back into their run. They are funny.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm sitting here filling up on watermelon..:drool..It is dripping down my chin just like the emoji...:gig..:weee
I'm soooooo jealous! Nothing's beats cold fresh watermelon on a hot summer day!

Omg I just got a new phone and transferred all my pics. Didn’t realize I have over 14,000 pictures, mostly chickens/ducks :lol:

The 5 call ducklings were hatched by one of my broodies, the single is 10 days older than the 5, from another broody.
The chicks are my most recent bantam Cochins :) All those girls are crazy broody. I’m overrun with chicklets.
View attachment 49821 View attachment 49822 View attachment 49823
Absolutely adorable!!!!

Do you put frozen water bottles in the the rabbit cages? We did that with the 4-h rabbits.
That's what I do! They get a fresh one every morning that gets swapped. And it gets swapped again mid afternoon. Just to be sure that it stays cool for them. They love it!

oldhenlikesdogs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For some reason two of my chickens aren't getting along. Well one is always chasing after the other. Not sure if it happens only when I am out there or if it is happening all of the time. But, once she runs the chicken off they are fine. Maybe pecking order is changing? Or it is the heat. They have plenty of room, shade, water, etc.
The one getting picked on isn't even the one laying soft shelled eggs.
Heat can make chickens cranky. It makes me cranky too. :old