Duck mix breed

meggan Byers

Just born
Reaction score
I have three muscovy ducks and one blue Swedish ducks. Two muscovies are male and one is a female, the Swedish is also a female. My Swedish duck went to the side of my house and has laid 9 eggs. I don't know if they are fertilized. I don't know if I should move them. and I don't know much about how to take care of newly hatched ducks or if mixed ducks are different.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm unsure just how that would actually turn out, since a muscovey is not a true duck. They are between a duck and a goose. A muscovey egg takes 35 days incubation, as does a goose...a duck is around 26-28 days, I believe. So, I am unsure if they would be viable in a cross or not. Hopefully there will be some more knowledgeable responses.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If that duck decides to incubate those eggd...and if you can keep her safe from predators, then hurrah, let her.

If the spot is a bad location, make a nest for her in a good safe spot, and see if she will swap over.

The eggs will incubate like "regular" ducks...since the mom is a "regular" duck.

All ducklings will be sterile and will grow like weeds, and be most excellent eating! !

If you are lucky, your female will do all of the work for you. Just put a dish of crumble close to the nest when it is close to hatching time. Also, for the first 2 weeks after hatch, only SAFE water sources. Either impossible to enter/drown in, or super easy for ducklings to climb in and out.

Most male Muscovy are fine with their own ducklings. ...so flock breeding SHOULDN'T be a problem.