Ducks life span... 15 years question?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So...

This has me really curious and I thought I'd bring it up.

People say that you can get ducks to live up to 15 years. But depending on the breed some will quote as little as 10 years. But they also will quote 20 years!

(Swans and Geese can be quoted for longer than both of these! Amazing right?)

And not to mention this is all longer than dogs and cats typically.... (I wonder why many avians do live longer than dogs and cats actually to? Assuming no foul play or bad ending of course.)

What I'm curious about is how you get them to last that long? What would you have to do to make them last that long?

People who raise chickens quote them living 3 years before going to the slaughter house, or not laying anymore. (So would ducks be laying all 10 or 15 years, etc? Or not?)

There's so much to ask on this. I wonder what kinds of experiences people have had in stuff like this, that's helped them have insights on it. (And what those insights are.)

It does seem interesting that they could live that long.

My ducks are pretty young, so I'm not worried about this, but just want to learn.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In general the easier the life the longer the life. I don’t have too much experience either lol, but I do know that less stress and more good feed, just a good life tends to extend them.

Latest posts