Dumb Clucks

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
3 days ago I made a roost for my pullets. They play on it during the day so I know they can get up the ladder. But at night they huddle in the corner to sleep. I had removed the low bar roosts they were using so I thought they'd transition well.

Will they figure it out? What can I do to help them?

Attachments

• 20220221_140540.jpg
    20220221_140540.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 99

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you have seen them playing on the roost bars... it might just be a matter of time...

As long as they aren't pooping in nestboxes... it isn't a problem.

They might want fatter roosts though... big chunky round branches.... or flat boards. Mine roost on 2x4s ... on the wide side, which is about 3.5 inches wide.

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you have seen them playing on the roost bars... it might just be a matter of time...

As long as they aren't pooping in nestboxes... it isn't a problem.

They might want fatter roosts though... big chunky round branches.... or flat boards. Mine roost on 2x4s ... on the wide side, which is about 3.5 inches wide.
I haven't put any nest boxes in there yet. I will in about a month. I found a shipping box for rifles that will make a great trough type the hens will love.
Wider bars are a great idea.

If they don't come around soon I'll swap some out for bigger bars.
😊

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
They're used to snuggling together. After a while they'll transition. I've gone out at night and placed some on the bars. Takes a few times. They ARE creatures of habit...that's why they put themselves to bed at night. 🤣. Give them a couple weeks.

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Silly girls
I am picking up 2 hens and a rooster (10months old) this week. I'm hoping they take lessons, lol

Lizzy733

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They probably don't like them being angled - ensure they have a flat surface or swap out for wide log rounds or branches. Their vision at night is very poor and they won't want to worry about their balance.

Also, if they're quite young, they may still be in the nesting phase. They will grow out of it. You can also move them to the roosts at night and they will eventually start going on their own.

Give your new birds a general health check before letting them loose and monitor the integration for infighting. I personally don't mingle any new birds on day one - and start off with see but don't touch integration after I'm satisfied the new birds are healthy and not bringing in any parasites.

Sometimes, a strong personality can make integration a pain. I've been fortunate my flock has been pretty mellow this year and integration has been a very quick process, but I've had some girls in the past that have made integration take over a month. Usually, the fighting won't come from your pre-pol birds - it'll be the older ones that usually cause disruption.

The fastest way to an easy integration is watching your flock like a hawk and being present to get involved if necessary. ID any problem individuals early on and work on their behavior before allowing them to mingle. In severe cases, you may need to swap the aggressive bird into the integration pen and let everyone else establish without them there to cause issues.

Oh and be mindful of high perches if you have any heavy breeds. This can lead to leg injury and bumblefoot later on doen the road when they're throwing their weight around.

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I did forget about quarantine. They are still in their crate. I'll leave them in barn within sight of the new birds.

Wonderful information. Thank you

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm with Alaskan on the 2x4's, wide side down. I have 2 roosts like that, one on each side, of my coop, about 7' long. It's more than enough for my 19 chickens. It also took a while for my pullets to start using them, too. They would all gather together in a bunch, on the floor, in the corner of the coop but they watch the older ones and they learn. ;)