Dumb question

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I feel really dumb asking this...but are grain and feed different? One feed store sold me grain that looks like bird feed, and another place sold me a bag of goat feed that is pellets.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
They are two different things... Feed is made up of some ground grains as well as other things to form a balanced dietary feed for the livestock. Grain is grain.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grain is wheat or any other cereal crop used as food and it can be a mix. COB or wet COB is Corn, Oats, and Barley with or without molasses and that would be considered grain. A good feed should be a balanced mix and grain and other products. A feed is usually in pellet form and will be higher in protein than the grain. It can be fed along with hay as an exclusive diet. Grain should be used as a treat only, many feed it on the milking stand but it does play in integral part in making good milk. Very complex topic...

Label from Purina Goat Chow.
Grain products, Processed grain by-products, Plant protein products, Molasses products, Calcium carbonate, Roughage products, Salt, Forage products, Dicalcium phosphate, Soybean oil, Phosphoric acid (a preservative), Vitamin E supplement, Tetrasodium pyrophosphate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Calcium iodate, Sodium molybdate, Cobalt carbonate, Manganese sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, Ferrous carbonate, Copper sulfate, Zinc oxide, Zinc sulfate, Magnesium oxide, Manganous oxide.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They are two different things... Feed is made up of some ground grains as well as other things to form a balanced dietary feed for the livestock. Grain is grain.
Thank you! I feel like a tard :/
Guess I'm not sure why the feed mill initially sold me grain instead of feed? But anyhow...now I know they are different :)

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Grain is wheat or any other cereal crop used as food and it can be a mix. COB or wet COB is Corn, Oats, and Barley with or without molasses and that would be considered grain. A good feed should be a balanced mix and grain and other products. A feed is usually in pellet form and will be higher in protein than the grain. It can be fed along with hay as an exclusive diet. Grain should be used as a treat only, many feed it on the milking stand but it does play in integral part in making good milk. Very complex topic...

Label from Purina Goat Chow.
Grain products, Processed grain by-products, Plant protein products, Molasses products, Calcium carbonate, Roughage products, Salt, Forage products, Dicalcium phosphate, Soybean oil, Phosphoric acid (a preservative), Vitamin E supplement, Tetrasodium pyrophosphate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Calcium iodate, Sodium molybdate, Cobalt carbonate, Manganese sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, Ferrous carbonate, Copper sulfate, Zinc oxide, Zinc sulfate, Magnesium oxide, Manganous oxide.
Thank you! It is so confusing. And after I realized my boy shouldn't have been banded so young I've become super paranoid at what I should feed him. It's kinda frustrating. And I haven't really got any straight answers from the people I got them from. So glad I joined this forum!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think people sometimes use the term "grain" when they refer to feed since feed is mostly made from grains. I think I'm guilty of that.
My primary feed is not a pellet it is a local mix. It contains 5 ingredients mixed in the right proportions to be balanced. Corn, Soy Meal, oats, alfalfa, and soybean oil. And then minerals are added when the feed is mixed.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed a similar "grain" to my girls when they are on the stand. It is goat feed, but it looks a lot like Wet COB, but it has all the right things in all the right amounts for goats.