Dumor ultra milk replacer mixing questions

Churnhead

Just born
Reaction score
The dumor ultra says accelerated program is 10 ounces for 2 quarts and standard is 8 ounces. Which should I use? They give no exclamations !

redtailgal

Reaction score
Can We have a little more information?

What breed is your calf? how old? How long has it been on a bottle? and Why are you raising this calf (beef, potential diary, pet etc)?

Churnhead

Just born
Reaction score
She's a month old I was told. Half Holstein half brangus. Raising her for a family milk cow!

TheyCallMeShorty

Just born
Reaction score
The info here was most helpful to me, my two calves are doing great because of the knowledge I got, thanks! :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that! This site is a wealth of information and there is always someone ready to answer a question.

Welcome to the group!

rd200

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If its an accelerated program 10 oz seems correct into 2 quarts water. We feed a moderately accelerated program and dont have any problems with nutritional scours. Calves need milk to grow. The standard 1 gallon/day is NOT enough especially in winter. It may certainly meet its maintence requirements, but that doesnt leave it anything left to GROW on. Calves that are fed a higher plane of nutrition are less suseptable to disease and less stressed in inclament weather. We feed 8 oz into 2 quarts water of a 26/17 milk replacer 3x's a day at 8 hr intervals. The calves do really well and we rarely have scouring issus. We used to feed 16 oz into 3 quarts of water it was a 26/18 and boy did the calves GROW on that. It got expensive thou and so now they switched to this kind. Calves grow nice, it meets their nutritional requirements, they dont have scour problems, its great. If you concerned about scours or it being TOO concentrated then you could either do 12 oz into 3 quarts of water, or do 8 oz into 2 quarts and feed 3x day. 3x's day is really better for the calf. it keeps their blood sugars regulated and their stomach is not empty for long periods of time. With an accelerated program tho you need to have fresh water for the calf all the time. ITs impairative for an accelerated program because sometimes the ration is slightly higher concentration than normal, and a calf can get thristy in between feedings. Its generally good to have fresh water even if the calf is not on an accelerated program.
The most risk i see with scouring is if you change the amounts around and one day its super concentrated and the next its not, etc. That is when you get problems. Be consistant. but the original mixing instruction arent too concentrated IMO. Good luck....

TheyCallMeShorty

Just born
Reaction score
When can you start to wean them off their bottles? My calves are 3 weeks old and are eating grass, some hay and some grain.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Not until 8 weeks. Their rumens are just starting to function around 4ish weeks, then by 6 it's functioning well, but 8 weeks is a bare minimum for weaning if you want them to do well.