Dutch mark vs vienna?

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi,

My baby rabbits are 4 days old now.
I have looked today and there is random white bits on them.

one looks like a Dutch mark (incomplete Dutch markings). But the other have a few odd white spot s.

it's not broken as neither is broke n.
I know the mum carries none of it (the man only breeds pointed white, marten smoke pearl and sable marten).
so it's the dad.
he's not a visual though.

how can I tell if it's single Dutch or vienna? (The eyes aren't open so can't check for blue eyes).

there pure breed Netherland dwarfs. I don't know the dad's heritage.

here's a pic of the one that looks Dutch marked.

Attachments

• baby bunny 2.jpg
    baby bunny 2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 122

JirehFarmsTN

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The only time dutch markings are NOT Vienna are in the dutch breed. All other breeds they are considered VM, even if they don’t show blue eyes. 😊

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The only time dutch markings are NOT Vienna are in the dutch breed. All other breeds they are considered VM, even if they don’t show blue eyes. 😊
thank you,
unfortunately, I have no rabbits anymore.
My three adult rabbits and four babies died on RHD.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry you lost your rabbits.

Dutch marking and Vienna are two different genes. Vienna (Vi) is incomplete dominant, meaning if a rabbit has one copy, they might show it or they might not. Two genes will definitely show it and cause the rabbit to have a solid white coat with blue eyes. I have a doe who has one copy, she has no white on her but her eyes seem to be a bit lighter than they should (she's chinchilla color). She has had babies with a non-carrier of Vienna, and most look normal but some had snips of white on their feet or nose/face.

Dutch (du) is incomplete recessive. Meaning to get the ideal belted pattern a rabbit needs 2 copies of the du gene (plus modifiers/other helpful genes). A rabbit with no copies of du, meaning they are DuDu, or normal, will not show any white markings (assuming there are no other marking genes). A rabbit with one copy of du, will probably have some markings but may also look solid; they could have a partial belt or just white on feet or face.