Dwarf or full-size goats?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not sure where you're located so don't know your specific laws/rules/etc. But perhaps you can use the milk/cheeses you make to generate a little income to help defray the cost of keeping the goats. Especially if there's a nearby farmers market. I don't have my goats yet (coming soon!) but I used to sell my excess chicken eggs to friends/neighbors and at work to folks who wanted good, all natural, humanely raised and naturally fed chicken eggs. I'm sure most if not all of them would have been more than happy to buy cheeses as well. There may also be a market for all natural soaps and lotions you can make from goats milk. There are quite a few options really... Just some thoughts. Oh, and since the does will need to have kids in order to produce milk, you'll need to consider what you'll do with the babies... if selling them, you need to know the market in your area as to whether it would be better to start out with a registered herd vice a herd on non-papered animals.

Amina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Gosh, I sure hope I am able to stick to one breed, whatever I pick! Chicken math is enough of a struggle. I don't need goat math getting out of hand too!

Here in North Carolina, excess milk can be sold for pets but not for human consumption, unfortunately. So maybe I can sell a little pet milk... not sure how that will go, exactly.

The point about selling the kids is a good one, and for that reason I've thought it would be good to get purebred goats instead of mixed breeds. But I am not sure what breeds are in high demand or not, or how difficult it is to sell a non-papered goat.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Amina Glad to see you are looking up the milk laws! Most people who are new to goats forget about that and expect to sell milk for human consumption but in most states you need to be a dairy to do such.

Lots of great goats out there! To help clarify- the Mini's have their own registry and aren't looked at as just mixed breed goats. Just something to remember, whatever breed of goat you decide to get :)

Welcome to BYH :frow

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Some other considerations... If you want the goats for milk. Some breeds are "year round" breeders like the Nigerian dwarfs and this "could" include "mini's" and their offspring, as they have some percentage of Nigie in them. Most are seasonal and come into heat cycles any time after say August/September through ~January. Gestation is ~145-150 days, 5 months, and most want the does to kid in the early spring to avoid higher temps and hence bugs/flys and pneumonia issues. Most animals have about a ten month milk cycle or less, though some animals will stay in milk for over a year if you let them. Milk production also generally tends to decrease over time. So you'll want to plan your goat purchases (breed and proven dairy quality) and breedings to have milk year round.

As for the papers issue, most sanctioned shows as well as 4H require papered animals except for "showmanship" awards. That's a whole 'nuther subject in and of itself. @OneFineAcre is a Nigerian Dwarf show person so you could ask him more specific questions. There's also existing discussions on that subject in the threads. Might be a good idea to do some browsing there first and then ask questions ;) save a lot of time... You could also contact your local 4H and ask them.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Amina
I've seen my name mentioned a couple of times so Welcome from Zebulon NC
We breed Nigerians and we are on 5 acres about 3 1/2 currently fenced
I can't tell you what is best for you but we sure love our Nigies
I have a farm thread you can look at and I would be happy to help any way I can

Amina

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre
Thanks for the warm welcome! Where can I find your farm thread?

And in choosing to have Nigerians, was/is milk production a big factor in the decision or are you primarily focused on showing them?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre
Thanks for the warm welcome! Where can I find your farm thread?

And in choosing to have Nigerians, was/is milk production a big factor in the decision or are you primarily focused on showing them?
We chose Nigies because of their size
When we started we lived in a neighborhood
We started showing because we thought it would be a good family activity our daughter was 6 when we started showing

We have solid milkers
We are in our last month of 305 day
milk testing
All except our first fresheners have earned milk stars in all 3 categories
Volume Fat and Protein
Our FF stared in fat and protein

Last edited: