DWBONFIRE (pics added 10/9/2011)

redtailgal

Reaction score
She left a little while ago, and the lil heifer is in the barn talking to the goats.(plotting against me no doubt)

Lil no name heifer is a pretty chocolate calf and is full of herself. She was putting on a pretty good show while the goats were eating, lol.

Dwbonfire says that she will check up on the calf ont his forum while she is gone, so I'll keep this thread with updates for her. and maybe a few pics..................

I havent fed the calf (she gots to get a name) yet, but will let you know how she does later.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
How about "Nacho" b/c she's "not yours"....

....waiting for pics w/ Emily....pass that popcorn....got any extra butter?

redtailgal

Reaction score
lol Nacho! love it! If she was mine it would stick. (might stick while she is here) I ended up calling her "fireball" a couple times tonight.

Anyway, she was hollering for her supper, so I went ahead and fed her.

After I talked with her "mom" this afternoon, it was agreed that I could bucket train and halter train her while she was here, so we started tonight.

Nacho did great! I put on a soft starter halter and she buck it for a min, the dug in her toes when I gave her some pressure on the nose, but a tap on the hiney got her head back up. She quickly learned that forward movement got that pressure of her nose and then walked to where I was going to fed her.

She will be haltered and led to her milk, haltered and led to go out and back in, so the halter will be a happy thing by the end of tommorrow.

Well, once we got over to where I was going to feed her.......she was what I will call "energetic and enthusiatic" about eating, lol. She definately likes to headbutt. I had to give her a little bit of milk in the bottle to settle her and then we went to a bucket. There was a moment of confusion while she tried to find that nipple, and then EUREKA! zShe sucked it down,(I put a little at a time in the bucket cuz she was "energetic" lol) and then had a bloody good romp around the inside of the barn. She led back to her stall without a problem, no digging in and no tap on the rump needed.

I gave her a little hay for the night and a handful of grain to play with.........she was very interested in the grain now that she sees that a bucket can give her food. She may be chowing on some grain, before you get back, DWbonfire!

It was dark and my son was taking pics, excuse the quality.

Now, where is that nipple? um HELLOOOO, where is the nipple? NO NIPPLE!!! ??????

2952_1.jpg

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! There is MILK in here! MILK without a nipple? who woulda thunk it?
2952_calf2.jpg

nom nom nom. I'm a big girl now.......dont need no stinkin nipple!

2952_calf3.jpg

She is doing fine Dwbonfire, enjoy your trip!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
What a sweetie! Absolutely love her coloring.

Really sweet of you Redtailgal to do this thread for DWBonfire. So that she can see how her calf is doing under your care. Already drinking out of a bucket and interested in grain. Along with accepting the halter.

I'm looking forward to see the progress of your teaching as well. :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
Well, "notmine" ate well this morning right out of the bucket, no bottle! She didnt even look for that old nipple.

She did fairly well on the halter, until she decided that she wanted to go left when we needed to go right. When I didnt give in, she bucked, she pulled, and kicked, and laid down, but, in the end we went right, not left and she was ok with that. lol

Afterward, she went out to the pasture for an hour or so and she had fun running and bucking..............that is until the three lil snot-goats came in. Then, no body moved for half an hour. Literally, they just stood and stared at one another.

Then lil "notmine" walked over to sniff a goat, but this scared the goats and they took off for the barn which scared the calf so SHE took off to the barn. LOL The goats were confused.

All is well so far today!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
In 2 weeks that calf may think that she's a goat :rolleyes: Didn't take my goats long to teach our calf that he's really a goat at heart.

redtailgal

Reaction score
lol, Im just curious to see if my snots will warm up to her