DWBONFIRE (pics added 10/9/2011)

redtailgal

Reaction score
GEEZ LOUISE!

Your calf was FULL of it this morning.

She drank her milk without butting at all (I was so proud of her). Then I led her out to the pasture and she walked along like proper lady (I was even more proud of her).

Then I took the halter off and......:ep

SHe let out a BELLOW and took off like she was a 2500lb rodeo bull. She RAN as fast as she could around the pasture (five full laps), stopped to catch her breath and then BUCK the full length of the pasture and back (grunting the whole time). She manage to run over Freezerburn, so he had to get up and chase her, which only agged her on..........and she had to chase HIM, lol.

THen, I had to beat one of my goats. severly. about the head AND shoulders. and your "sweet" little heifer proceeded to buck and holler and gallop about while I am fighting with my snot of a goat.

So then, after all that I stopped to catch my breath, and she decided to take a break from rodeo-ing for a minute. She walked over to me, all sweet like, and stuck her head out for me to scratch her neck. It lasted all of 30 seconds, and she was off again. FULL THROTTLE, lol. Galloping, bucking, hopping, kicking imaginary goblins, bellowing. A total and complete wild child.

So much for your theory on taking her off the high energy milk. :gig

She is growing.......I think you will be surprised! It may be harder to get her back up in that truck!

Hope your having fun. Sorry I didnt get any pics for you yet, I am trying!

Maybe I can get some after work today!

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:gig I cant believe she is so spunky, she was at home too but she sounds like a crazy girl.

Sorry I havent been checking on here as much as I'd like, this computer is so slow and someone here is always on it so my time is limited!

Im glad she did well being tied, that will be helpful in the future. Thats great that shes minding her manners with the headbutting and walking like a lady! :)

Do you think I should figure out another way to pick her up? Im worried she will be too jammed in that crate. I also didnt like how she was sliding around in there on the tray, I tried to put the hay in there to help but it didnt really :rolleyes:

redtailgal

Reaction score
I am brainstorming on that. She will still fit in the crate, but we do need a way to keep her from slipping.

Perhaps an old blanket in the bottom of the crate?

Pumpkinpup

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I am brainstorming on that. She will still fit in the crate, but we do need a way to keep her from slipping.

A rubber door door mat works great with hay on top. It gives some grip ;)

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Pumpkinpup said:
redtailgal said:

A rubber door door mat works great with hay on top. It gives some grip ;)
:thumbsup good idea Pumpkin

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
good idea! if i cant find something like that i will put a big ol blanket in there for her.

how has she been? is she still behaving herself? i cant wait to see her :love

redtailgal

Reaction score
She is doing good. She "helped" me clean the barn this morning.

First, we cleaned her stall and put in some fresh bedding. She liked this so much she ha to do the happy bouncy dance........and knock over her water bucket. lol, she does NOT like having wet feet.

Then we went out to clean out the goat area, so now I had her help as well as all three goats. They helped by running in big circles around where-ever I was trying to clean. I put out fresh bedding in the goat area, but I moved the water buckets BEFORE they all did the happy bouncy dance. lol

Then I trimmed feet on the goats, and she helped by licking my ear.

SHe is eating like a cow, and playing like a goat. lol

She is doing well with the halter and lead, but still has her moments where she just insists that it is not possible to walk on a lead. There is dramatic improvement on the head butting, but she will occasionaly headbutt. This is good because it will give you opportunity to work with her when you get home.

I've been calling the heifers down toward the barn, to get ready to bring them in for calving, and she LOVES to talk cow with them.

She did get her butt smacked this morning though..........she kicked me! I was trying to fix a fence issue and she kept sticking her nose in the way, so I pushed her away. Not rough, but firmly.....and the little turkey turned around and KICKED me! I smacked her hiney, and she ran around bucking. Then she came back, and ever so gently stuck her nose in my face for a "kiss". lol, so we "kissed' and made up. She went on to graze a little and everything was fine after that. lol

Yeah, she is doing good and behaving like a healthy calf should, lol. She is really growing, she has filled out some since you left. Lemme see if I can get you some pics.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Remember how big she was when you dropped her off?
These first two pics were taken the day after you left.....

2952_calf2.jpg

2952_calf2.jpg

Now I just took the next two last night:

2952_10192011_2.jpg

2952_10192011_1.jpg

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
She's such a cutie patootie :D

But :hide on her acting like a goat! I've got a calf that thinks he's a goat and it's kind of scary at times...

redtailgal

Reaction score
YEAH, but did you see how much she has grown, lol?

Her mom is gonna freak..........