Dying Hen

Yellowrose

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Big Momma is a Buff Orphington. She hatched out 7 chicks 2 weeks ago and is still refusing to eat. She drinks lots of water. and nibbles on grass. nibbles...

I have tried live culture yogurt, unsweetened apple sauce, maggot, meal worms, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, fresh squeezed moo juice and other things I am not thinking of at the moment. And nothing. She will eat a little one time and never again. Yogurt being the last one for like the 3rd time. Scrambled eggs yesterday and the day before.

She was wormed a week ago for a just in case, and there are no signs of mites. All she will do is drink water. I have put apple cider vinegar with the mother in it but those chicks need fresh water every couple days.

I can not take her from the chicks, she has an absolute fit. And would likely die faster if I forced her...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She needs help.

She looks good other then really thin. I will try to answer any questions to help figure this out.

wynn4578

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I once had a hen go into molt and did the same thing. We had to force her to take yogurt water and mash for about a week until she started eating again. I don't know if this is your solution but you may try feeding her for a few days and see if she picks up.

Yellowrose

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I tried syringe feeding her and I just can't do it by my self. Nope no one to help me.

She has been acting like she wanted to jump into a nest to get away from the chicks the last couple days when they would pile on her back. Just now I sectioned them off. The only thing separating them is a wire. They are all sharing one light. Not sure if is a good thing separating them but she is so weak she doesn't want them on her back. I can change it back if need be.

She is nibbling on grass and lots of water. I don't know what else to do. Almost feel like I should give her a couple days like this then put her out of her misery if something doesn't change.

I will let the chicks with her when I am out there unless someone says I should do something different. Maybe turn them loose for the day like I have been doing with them and mom maybe tomorrow.. I just don't know what to do. I do know that if they are gonna lose their mom then they really need to get use to being separate. They will have 3 older chicks, a rooster and 18 other hens to deal with very soon. Nope, no place to separate everyone. Not getting a new coop for several more weeks.

Sorry for the babble, I have a thing with giving as much info as possible... I am at a loss. Thank you for your reply

ps I'm not seeing the feather loss that goes alone with a molt. Ill look again but I don't think so.

Last edited:

Yellowrose

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok, I am flippen totally confused. She is my best broody momma... 'til now. I took the chicks away from her earlier, separated them by a wire. They are blocked from the whole coop and she is in another small section because a Austrolorp is attacking her. And when I left she was eating oatmeal. Not just stopping at a couple bites. I do need to check and see if she continued eating after I left to eat dinner. But why. There has never been a food shortage around here. Why would she starve herself to death to feed her chicks?

Can I or will she take them back in a few days If she continues eating and building her health/strength back up? Should I continue to let them out with her during the day? Or are they officially abandoned? And million more questions...

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know anything about chickens, but just wanted to say I'm sorry your hen is giving you troubles, and I hope she starts eating better and doing well soon.

Pstock44

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm still a newbie but if the separation has gotten her to start eating and she can see the chicks are safe I'd stick with it. If she's eating oatmeal maybe mixing in some of the nutritious chick feed with give her a more rounded diet.

My broody was only eating chick feed after they hatched and a couple days ago I started mixing in her regular pellet feed. Chicks are eating the crumbles and she seems to be eating both now. It seems like she's beginning to start filling out to her old fuller self again.

Looks like I tend to babble too! Good luck.

Yellowrose

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello folks, Thank you. I was wrong she ate the couple bite then stopped like she always does. I may have no other choice but to put her out of her misery. Don't know whether to do it now and wait for the chicks to get a little older. They are all together right now.

And everyone else is free range. I messed up and left the gate open. Not suppose to be out till they are pretty much done laying their eggs.

Again thank everyone.

Yellowrose

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm getting some electrolytes and vitamins in a few to put in their water - still grasping at straws

Wickedchicken6

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi! Most of the BYC members have most likely moved back to the site. I just saw your thread. Is there anything noticeable about her...her crop or a distended belly?

As long as she's eating there's hope.

Latest posts