Dying Hen

Pots and Pans

Just born
Reaction score
Big Momma is a Buff Orphington. She hatched out 7 chicks 2 weeks ago and is still refusing to eat. She drinks lots of water. and nibbles on grass. nibbles...

I have tried live culture yogurt, unsweetened apple sauce, maggot, meal worms, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, fresh squeezed moo juice and other things I am not thinking of at the moment. And nothing. She will eat a little one time and never again. Yogurt being the last one for like the 3rd time. Scrambled eggs yesterday and the day before.

She was wormed a week ago for a just in case, and there are no signs of mites. All she will do is drink water. I have put apple cider vinegar with the mother in it but those chicks need fresh water every couple days.

I can not take her from the chicks, she has an absolute fit. And would likely die faster if I forced her...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She needs help.

She looks good other then really thin. I will try to answer any questions to help figure this out.

Pots and Pans

Just born
Reaction score
I have had a problem with a chick that would have died too. Someone prescribed childrens Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins[no iron] and real Maple syrup. There is something in the maple syrup that saved her life. My little bird today is spoiled rotten, ready to go outside and be a real chicken!