1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Gift from the Neighbour
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Ear Infection in LaMancha Goat.

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by babsbag, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Nov 29, 2016
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

Title pretty much says it all. She has had crusty ears for months but now one is oozing white gunk too, possibly puss but doesn't smell as bad as I would expect. I know she doesn't feel well and will start her on Oxcytet tomorrow after I grab a culture of her ear gunk. (I need sterile swabs from my vet). Her temp is 102.4 so high end of normal for a cold day. I have her in a stall separated from the herd. I am culturing her for mycoplasma just because I can.

What can I use to clean the ears?

2. Nov 29, 2016
    Green Acres Farm

Green Acres Farm Loving the herd life

I have no idea, but I know someone who has LaManchas who said they have a problem with ear infections.:hu

3. Nov 30, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

@goatgurl @Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer Only folks I know that have Lamanchas, although I'd guess an ear infection is just that no matter the breed. I only tagged because the alerts aren't working for some of us. I would guess an antibiotic is going to be required... no idea what one. :hu Hope you get it all better Babs.

4. Nov 30, 2016
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

My girlfriend that has raised Alpines for EVER says "goats don't get ear infections". My friend that has raised LMs for EVER says that she cleans out ears all of the time and that she hates tight ears. :idunno

I will start her on antibiotics tomorrow, she sounded a little congested too and not quite herself. Also going to use NFZ Puffer in her ears. One more thing to add to the goat chore list. Maybe I really do like Alpines the best.

5. Nov 30, 2016
    samssimonsays

samssimonsays Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres

somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
    I would imagine that without a full ear to protect it, it could get an infection. I don't know why a goat couldn't get one.... Dogs, rabbits, cats, and I even had a chicken get one when I was a kid. So what's different with goats? Finding out the cause would be a concern for me. I def want to follow this one. I know in baddest hounds and hound dogs in general with longer ears, ear infections are more prone to happen so I've always worried about my Nubians ears and check them regularly. Because I'm a worry wart of a "new" goat mom. You're still considered new at over 1.5 years in right?

6. Nov 30, 2016
    NH homesteader

NH homesteader True BYH Addict

I've had my goats for the same amount of time and I feel new so yes! I'm interested in this, I was interested in getting a Lamancha but if it's a trait of theirs, not really something that sounds enjoyable. Hope you get her sorted out!

7. Nov 30, 2016
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos True BYH Addict

will be following this to learn, we noticed that our 1 LM doe has some ear crust...will take a better look this am at it.

8. Nov 30, 2016
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

Goats can get ear infections but it is usually secondary to something else.

Ear cleaner is a good place to start.

We had a Kiko doe come in years ago and she had an ear infection. It was secondary as she had thick crust caused by psoroptes cuniculi.
    We treated the psoroptes cuniculi with permethrin dip soaked cotton balls after we cleaned the ear. She was given 2 doses of oxy 72 hours apart.

Our Lamanchas like all our other goats can get waxy ears. We clean the ears on our goats when we trim hooves.
    I use my pinky fingernail on the lamanchas when I see a little wax building up especially on the tighter eared goats.

Goat Whisperer likes this.
  9. Nov 30, 2016
    NH homesteader

NH homesteader True BYH Addict

10. Dec 1, 2016
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

The culture has been sent to UC Davis and the doe has been started on Biomycin (oxytetracycline) . She was still not running a fever but very quiet and not really eating. I could hear fluid in her ear sloshing as I was cleaning it. A few hours after the antibiotics she was enjoying her hay and looking better already. I read that if a ear infection is not treated it can damage a nerve in their face and they won't be able to chew cud. That would not be a good thing.

Later tonight I realized that I started a pregnant doe on oxytet...what was I thinking? She is only 2 weeks bred so if she aborts there will probably be a chance to breed her again. I really had no options.

Green Acres Farm likes this.