Ear Infection in LaMancha Goat.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. She has had crusty ears for months but now one is oozing white gunk too, possibly puss but doesn't smell as bad as I would expect. I know she doesn't feel well and will start her on Oxcytet tomorrow after I grab a culture of her ear gunk. (I need sterile swabs from my vet). Her temp is 102.4 so high end of normal for a cold day. I have her in a stall separated from the herd. I am culturing her for mycoplasma just because I can.

What can I use to clean the ears?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have no idea, but I know someone who has LaManchas who said they have a problem with ear infections.:hu

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@goatgurl @Southern by choice @Goat Whisperer Only folks I know that have Lamanchas, although I'd guess an ear infection is just that no matter the breed. I only tagged because the alerts aren't working for some of us. I would guess an antibiotic is going to be required... no idea what one. :hu Hope you get it all better Babs.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
My girlfriend that has raised Alpines for EVER says "goats don't get ear infections". My friend that has raised LMs for EVER says that she cleans out ears all of the time and that she hates tight ears. :idunno

I will start her on antibiotics tomorrow, she sounded a little congested too and not quite herself. Also going to use NFZ Puffer in her ears. One more thing to add to the goat chore list. Maybe I really do like Alpines the best.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I would imagine that without a full ear to protect it, it could get an infection. I don't know why a goat couldn't get one.... Dogs, rabbits, cats, and I even had a chicken get one when I was a kid. So what's different with goats? Finding out the cause would be a concern for me. I def want to follow this one. I know in baddest hounds and hound dogs in general with longer ears, ear infections are more prone to happen so I've always worried about my Nubians ears and check them regularly. Because I'm a worry wart of a "new" goat mom. You're still considered new at over 1.5 years in right?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've had my goats for the same amount of time and I feel new so yes! I'm interested in this, I was interested in getting a Lamancha but if it's a trait of theirs, not really something that sounds enjoyable. Hope you get her sorted out!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
will be following this to learn, we noticed that our 1 LM doe has some ear crust...will take a better look this am at it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats can get ear infections but it is usually secondary to something else.

Ear cleaner is a good place to start.

We had a Kiko doe come in years ago and she had an ear infection. It was secondary as she had thick crust caused by psoroptes cuniculi.
We treated the psoroptes cuniculi with permethrin dip soaked cotton balls after we cleaned the ear. She was given 2 doses of oxy 72 hours apart.

Our Lamanchas like all our other goats can get waxy ears. We clean the ears on our goats when we trim hooves.
I use my pinky fingernail on the lamanchas when I see a little wax building up especially on the tighter eared goats.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The culture has been sent to UC Davis and the doe has been started on Biomycin (oxytetracycline) . She was still not running a fever but very quiet and not really eating. I could hear fluid in her ear sloshing as I was cleaning it. A few hours after the antibiotics she was enjoying her hay and looking better already. I read that if a ear infection is not treated it can damage a nerve in their face and they won't be able to chew cud. That would not be a good thing.

Later tonight I realized that I started a pregnant doe on oxytet...what was I thinking? She is only 2 weeks bred so if she aborts there will probably be a chance to breed her again. I really had no options.

Latest posts