1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. A Thief has been caught!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Ear...Mites?...Infection?...or just plain Irritated?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Rabbits' started by Lost Creek, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Oct 16, 2012
    Lost Creek

Lost Creek Just born

Hi All!

I'm spankin' new to the forum, and this is my first post. Yep, even before my introduction.

We're pretty new to meat rabbits, too. I noticed today that one of our does has what looks like some red irritation deep in her ears (both of them). What is this? Is it something we did/didn't do? How do I treat it? Can I prevent it, if so, how?

Any and all suggestions and input will be appreciated. thanks, in advance!

Daniel

2. Oct 16, 2012
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

I do not have rabbits and know nothing about them, however I do have a limited background in parasitology. This may be helpful. Rabbits are prone to mites, specifically Psoroptes cuniculi. They infest the auditory canals causing psoroptic mange. It can cause severe otitis externa and heavy crusting. You will need a microscope for proper identification. Some mites may be large enough to see with a hand magnifying glass. Take a q-tip, or cotton swab (dry) and swipe inside of ear lay swab on black paper and look closely with magnifying glass. You may or maynot be able to see them. As far as treatment I'm not sure, one of the goats had this when we bought her from the breeder. It was very advanced and had a great deal of crust, she ended up with a secondary infection and needed an anti- biotic injection(actually 2). Yes goats can get this too! We were able to treat with permethrins dabbed into the ear. But rabbits are so sensitive it's best to get the rabbit checked by a vet.

Hopefully someone with experience with rabbits will be more helpful.

and WELCOME TO BYH!!!!

3. Oct 17, 2012
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

Ear mites are a common problem in rabbits. Frequently, you do see heavy crusting, but what you are seeing might be a very light case. My favorite weapon against mites is Ivermectin, though for a light case of ear mites you might just try a few drops of mineral oil in each ear. The oil is supposed to suffocate the mites. Some people use vegetable oil, but I've heard there is some concern about a fungus possibly growing on vegetable-based oils. If you go with the oil, a follow-up treatment about 10-14 days later is usually recommended.

Ron Bequeath and Pastor Dave like this.
  4. Oct 18, 2012
    Lost Creek

Lost Creek Just born

thanks, southern by choice and bunny lady!

I think we caught it in the early/light phase, and can hopefully knock it out.

5. Oct 18, 2012
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

Use a few drops of veggie oil per ear if it's still early. The more extensive it is, the more oil. But don't forget to retreat in 2wks.

6. Jan 30, 2013
    mjgh06

mjgh06 Exploring the pasture

I just bought two meat rabbits that had ear mites. This is how I treat and it works very well.

8-10 drops of permethrin (found for dogs/cats ear mite drops) in each ear repeat in three days and again in another three days

at same time

Ivermectin pour-on - 1cc placed on the back of head right below ear base (this is for meat rabbits which are large so if you have a smaller breed use 1/2cc) repeat in 10 days, and again in another 10 days.

All done and the ivermectin treatment will keep reinvestation of parasites away for about 5 months.

EDITED: I need to add that Ivermectin should not be used on white rabbits or broken colored rabbits because of the possibility of the MDR1 gene mutation.

7. Apr 4, 2013
    hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' with the herd

You will all think im nuts but this works and works well. You do it 2 times. day one spay WD40 in the ear. You will see it get better in a half haour the crap will be falling out. By day 3 do a little more and rub the bottom of the ear. An old timer showed me this and i have had very good luck with it with no problems to the the rabbits at all. you do need to use the cans with the spray hose on it to get in the ear. Will tell you the rabbit will lose hair around the ear but it will grow back. Very cheap and very productive.....

8. Dec 19, 2017
    K.Briggs

K.Briggs Chillin' with the herd

what do you use in broken colored rabbits then?

9. Dec 19, 2017
    secuono

secuono Herd Master

Drown in oil. Disinfect everything super well. Then hope.
    Or risk it. I never heard of it being an issue for rabbits, just herding dogs, so I used it.

10. Dec 19, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I always used mineral oil. I applied it with an eye dropper twice daily until the mites were gone. Once a month, I treated all the rabbits with mineral oil drops in their ears.