Ear mites...yay

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Recently, I discovered one of my does crawling with ear mites. Her ears were infested, along with her rear end. She first contracted them last November, and I treated her until they were "gone". Well, they weren't. I've been using olive oil to smother the mites in her ears and rear, and they are mostly cleared up. To supplement the oil, some VetRx is on the way. The mites aren't too difficult to treat. What is confusing is that the doe shares a hutch with another rabbit, but the other rabbit shows absolutely no signs whatsoever of mites. Neither do my Dutch, which I have been watching like a hawk for symptoms. The symptoms are caused for the most part by the rabbit's immune system's reaction to the mites, so it is possible to rabbits to be immune to the mites, but the mites would still be present in the ear. Anyone have any ideas on why the ear mites are not spreading?

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not immune but many breeders have told me that some rabbits seem to be more susceptible than others. It is more likely that the others could have them, but are not as infested as in for some reason they really don't have as ideal environment to reproduce as well on other rabbits. However, I had one buck that got ear mites very badly practically overnight twice several months apart even though none of my other rabbits or pets ever had them, not even the cat that played with him from under his cage! :idunno

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Could part of the reason be "stress"? The rabbit that has the mites is a VERY high-strung rabbit, which contributes to her weak resistance to diseases and parasites. This is not the first time she has been sick.
I treated the other doe in the hutch and her with the VetRx, so hopefully that has killed whatever mites were left.
Any mites in their cage are dead now; i practically drowned the cage in Lysol (not with the rabbits in it, of course).