ear tipping

shansen

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought a young rabbit who looked very promising I've had her for 1 week she is 9 weeks old now I noticed today the tops of her ears are tipped . I've found references to "summer ears " but I don't feel she has has that , it's only 60° at the highest. I've checked for mites ect.
is there a way to correct this? We were planning on showing her. Any help would be appreciated
20151115_143039.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never have seen a rabbit with ears tipped like that. Sorry I can't be of help to you.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Harlies have large ears, and young ones that are growing fast do that sometimes. Do her ears do that all the time, or just some of the time? The worst is when the whole ear goes down; I've had a few that wound up with one ear that stayed down permanently, like a lop.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Harlies have large ears, and young ones that are growing fast do that sometimes. Do her ears do that all the time, or just some of the time? The worst is when the whole ear goes down; I've had a few that wound up with one ear that stayed down permanently, like a lop.

if that happens can you still show? We had a French Angora with one ear that would go down.

shansen

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I just noticed it yesterday when I posted the picture , and at times it seems more extreme than other I was gong to try to vet wrap them, even though it's not at the base with the stiff cartilage worthe a shot

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
if that happens can you still show? We had a French Angora with one ear that would go down.

No, ears that shouldn't lop but do, or ears that should lop but don't, are a DQ. A non-lop breed can have ears that approach horizontal and just get faulted for poor ear carriage, and some lop breeds (particularly Holland Lops) may demonstrate a bit of ear control that brings their ears above horizontal, when excited. Judges know to let the rabbits relax a bit, and then evaluate ear carriage.

Latest posts