Early nesting behavior question!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good morning all!

I bred my rabbits for the first time on 8/7 & 8/12. The first doe will be due on 9/4-9/7. She is already grabbing hay and taking it into her enclosed area. She puts it on the wire and starts scratching. This rabbit went through a false pregnancy shortly after we separated her from the other 2 rabbits a few months ago, built a nest & pulled hair, she was only 3 months old! My question...should I go ahead and place her nesting box in the cage, even though it won't be 28 days until 9/4? Thank you!

Meet Daphne!
Daphne 7.13.2020.jpg

We really didn't believe she was pregnant, (we separated them before 3 months...it took time to finish the cages) but provided a nesting box for her just in case! I think she was stressed! We had removed our buck a couple of weeks before...he was about 2.5 months, but she was still sharing the cage with our other doe and they had begun fighting, so we moved Chloe to her new cage. I believe this girl is anxious to be a mama!
Daphne & New Nesting Box 6.26.2020.jpg

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My Flemish Giant doe"s pull fur early, lol.....I keep my nesting box in the hutch for shelter from the heat as they are basically a plywood upside down box with a entrance, and they love to get on top and lay......good luck on your kindle :love
Thank you Barb! 💞 I just don't want to put it in to early and have her use it as a litter box, but maybe she won't and at least it will keep her from wasting the hay, as she scratches it falls through to the ground! We need to build a second box for our other doe...I'm not even sure she mated with the Buck...she just kept giving him the run around...lol, I tried to assist, but that still didn't work. I finally just left them alone for a couple of hours, so we will see!

LocoYokel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Have 3 does due the 7th myself, 2 of which are juniors. One is already starting to pull fur, the other- nada. If she is showing signs of wanting to make a nest let her have her box. If it is new box she may 'mark' it as hers but that doesn't necessarily mean she is going to use it for a litter box. Just change out the filling. Some does just like their box earlier than others.
First timers are always so exciting! Let us know how it goes!!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have 3 does due the 7th myself, 2 of which are juniors. One is already starting to pull fur, the other- nada. If she is showing signs of wanting to make a nest let her have her box. If it is new box she may 'mark' it as hers but that doesn't necessarily mean she is going to use it for a litter box. Just change out the filling. Some does just like their box earlier than others.
First timers are always so exciting! Let us know how it goes!!
I'm anxiously waiting...I'm also not completely sure that she's even pregnant, but we will know in the next few days! I've had her box in there & have cleaned it out a couple of times, no fur pulling yet!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always put the box in a couple days early, Some does are not exactly on the 30th day and I like to be safe. She won't use it as a toilet if she is pulling hair and actively building nests. Be sure to stick the pulled fur in the box. Identify where her toilet area is by the mound of rabbit raisins under the cage and place the box on the other side of the cage. Often when rabbits use the nesting box as a potty it is because the box has been accidentally been placed in the spot used by the rabbit as a toilet spot. Rabbits choose a toilet spot and will use it consistently,

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I always put the box in a couple days early, Some does are not exactly on the 30th day and I like to be safe. She won't use it as a toilet if she is pulling hair and actively building nests. Be sure to stick the pulled fur in the box. Identify where her toilet area is by the mound of rabbit raisins under the cage and place the box on the other side of the cage. Often when rabbits use the nesting box as a potty it is because the box has been accidentally been placed in the spot used by the rabbit as a toilet spot. Rabbits choose a toilet spot and will use it consistently,
Thank you! I thought I responded to this! I did as you suggested and moved stuff around a little! My next post shows my new kits!