Early pregnant heifer holding tail up.

Riverkhan Star

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello.

I have a 18 months old heifer that is pregnant for about 3 months. Recently she started to hold her tail up all the time as if she is going to poo. She eats and drinks water normally. She also makes a normal poo regularly. She doesn't have any sign of blood or any bad or normal fluent around her reproduction organ. she also doesn't show any sign of pain but she is a little bit more aggressive than her usual.

The vet told that she has still embryo by checking her with his hands and we just have to observe her carefully. We are gonna call a technician soon so he can check by ultrasound because vet didn't have ultrasound machine.

Anyway it has been 3 days since the tail up and i worry about her pregnancy or any other sickness that she may have.

is there any specific reason for this tailing up? What should we do?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there a bull in with her right now or right before you noticed 'tail up'?

Sometimes, a bred bovine can show heat--false or otherwise. Tail up and off to the side is a sign of both being in heat and having recently been bred.
Have you observed her trying to mount any of her herd mates--or being mounted?
Can also be symptom of aborting. Was she AI'd or bred by bull?
If by bull, you sure he was lepto free?
The ultrasound should tell the tale.

Last edited:

Riverkhan Star

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello. thanks for the answer.

No, there is no bull at the farm currently. Also she or other cows don't show any heat sign, mounting or being mounted or being followed by others etc.

She was artificially inseminated. Veterinary has checked her by hand and he said that embryo is still attached inside which is of course a good sign. But we can't be sure about the health of the embryo without ultrasound.

I worry about the symptom of aborting too. That's why i have opened this thread. :( Hopefully technician will come by Monday or Tuesday to check with ultrasound.

Latest posts