Early scours question-nervous mom

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am afraid my twin 10 day old mini Nubians may both be in the early stages of scours. I had to switch back and forth between their mom's milk and cow's milk a couple times and I'm afraid that may have been tough on their systems. Their lose, yellow stool has just begun, but I want to treat it immediately after reading how many people lose goats to such problems. Is it better to make your own electrolyte solution, as I have seen several recipes online, or use Pedialyte or Gatorade? I am on my way to pick up Pedialyte (and I have Gatorade). Also am I correct in understanding that they may need to remain on only Pedialyte or their electrolyte solution until their stool is normal--perhaps for 2-3 days? Any advice would be appreciated!

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
BTW, Dasie's temp is 104.2 and Ferdie's is 102.1. Dasie drank less this morning than Ferdie--about 1/2 what she usually takes. They're both active, but Dasie is probably a little less active than normal.

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, me too, thanks! I'm taking them to the vet this afternoon. Hope he can help.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will want a vet to evaluate the kids at this point. The kid with the 104.2 temp has a fever. Given your description- she sounds sick and you don't want to wait around on this!

Your best bet is to just leave them on goats milk and stop changing their milk.

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks. I so agree! I am trying my best to keep them on goat's milk. My supplier was not consistent, though, so I used the cow's milk in the mean time. I took them to the vet this afternoon, who gave her antibiotics. She responded beautifully and is happy and frolicking this evening, as if she was perfect. Her loose stool has stopped as well. She was acting starving and did not want the Pedialyte, so I tried her on goat's milk again. Not too much, though. Fingers crossed!

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
While you're here, how can I tell how much is too much milk for mini-Nubians? They always act so hungry, but I'm afraid that if I feed them as much as they want they'll end up with scours. How do you decide such things? Thanks from the Newb.

MaryZoe

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've read all the guidelines, but they don't discuss things like goats who act hungry after you've fed their 6 oz. And since mine are between standards and minis (Nubian dam, Nigerian sire), it's even harder to decide! :/

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you, sorry, but I have mini alpines and I have the same issue. I can find answers about alpines and nigerians but never minis! Good luck with them, and I'm glad they're doing better! @Goat Whisperer is a bottle feeding expert so you're talking to the right person!

Latest posts