East Fresians??

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The shepherd I bought last Spring's Katahdins from, has told me that the guy that moved next door to him has East Fresians. That got me curious, because I'm always looking for more "purpose" in stock.
How are they as far as meat production?
If I got one of his this year as a stud-ram, would I get better milking-production from a daughter out of my Katahdin ewe?? Still have good meat out of any sons??

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have East Friesian cross ewes, they are fine for meat production if you use a terminal meat sire. Otherwise they take too long to put muscle on for commercial marketing--they reach 100lbs fairly young but a lot of that is building bone structure, the muscling comes at 10-12 months.

They are a DREAM to milk, however.

We have crossed a 70% EF ram onto Katahdins and the lambs grew about as well as the pure Katahdins, with increased milking ability in the resulting ewe lambs, but were less resistant to parasites and health problems as a whole. You'll also have a distressed shearer when it comes time to shear the crosses.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
But what about F-1 lambs between Fresian ram over Katadin ewe? I can really do with better milking. Would like to keep meat supply coming as well. Not keeping a huge flock - just a few for personal food-supply. What I did this year was buy two Katahdins, a baby ram for sperm-donor that will soon be meat - and a baby ewe to make next year's meat. If I bought Fresian ram this coming Spring, would be OK to turn him into meat by next Winter? Keep the daughter and use the son for meat as well? If had a cross eweling, would be only one for personal milk-supply.
Possible???

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd say buy Katahdins from a milking line and milk them! Depending where you're located, there are some great breeders specifically breeding for this trait.

Best to keep at least two sheep at all times so that they each have a buddy.

If you still want to go with the EF ram, yes, they make very tasty yearling meat and beyond. Some lines mature earlier than others, rams are usually fertile around 8-9 months.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How to I find a milking-line? When I look for "Katahdins" in my area - they just tell me they're Katahdins... is there a name for the milking-lines? Know anyone in Virginia?

Latest posts