Easy breed to show

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
their backs are stronger than you think.now i wouldnt ride an older cow.

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Many a farm kid walks out to get the cows, and rides one back in.. Back in the day of country schools.. horses where needed to work during the day, but cows worked in the morning and evening, normally it was the kids that milked them. Cows were often riden to country school. Riding cattle is not a new idea. When the titsee fly(sp) killed most of the horses in Africa, the herdsmen took to riding cattle. Cattle were domesticated for labor thousands of years before the horse. So while today we think of it as a new concept because we aren't used to culturally seeing it.. its an age old game.

28.jpg

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
their backs are stronger than you think.now i wouldnt ride an older cow.
We recomend that animals that will be riden be fed apropreatly as calves. You need to build thier soft tissue, etc. Just like horses are fed to maintain joint and bone rather then meat.. thats the same way you feed a rider. There is an art to it or thier knees blow out when they get older as steers get so huge. I don't recomend just pulling anything out of the pasture and going 25 miles a day. Mine were fed and conditioned from 8 weeks on for that type of physical activity.

I would however put an old cow in buggy, or lead the kids around on her. I love old cows. They are sweet and have a wisdome to them I adore.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
steerrider said:
I would however put an old cow in buggy, or lead the kids around on her. I love old cows. They are sweet and have a wisdome to them I adore.
You better amend that to most old cows. I have a 10 yr old holstein that is the oposite end of sweet and wisdom. A burnt out light bulb is brighter than she is! :lol:

But we do have others in that 10 yr old or so age range that are sweet and have wisdom gained from thier years.

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I bought an old 11yr cow last year I was told was a "good mother" She was a bluffer.. but had evedently taken someone. I put her in the corral for the first 3 days. She did try and get snorty.. she was upset, and had been doing this for 11yrs.. in 3 days we got to know each other and now I love that cow. Her name is malina and she comes running when she sees me. I spoil her to death and all she wants is for me to brush her. Thats all I want too, so it works for both of us.
I don't mind the ones that need a bit of work, they are the ones that teach me the most about myself.

Then.. like you said.. there are those that the brains were just bread out of them.. and ya.. they stink..

Hayladee

Just born
Reaction score
Wow, I grew up on a dairy farm and milked cows and raised calves for the first 17 years of my life and I wouldnt have believed anyone who said they had a show jumping milking holstein....LOL! Man, you are never too old to learn are you, I sure do appreciate the lesson and the picture. Hayladee

Hayladee

Just born
Reaction score
If I'd have been caught riding one of our milk cows I'd have gotten skun alive! those ladies were treated like royalty....we werent even allowed to make then run when we brought them in...dad said they lose their milk if they have to exert themselves.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
welcome hope you like it here.we never ran the cows bringing emm in for milking.unless 1 decided she wasnt going in for milking.an was trying to hide out.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:welcome
We don't run ours either, unless somebody decides they would rather go through the fence instead of come in. :he

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Horses jump from a running position.. most people that ride cows, never run them.. cows/cattle jump more from a standing possition.
cows with large udders should not be ran. Steers however are used just like horses and do run, and so on.
How the animal is riden depends on what sex it is.. and if it has an udder that could get damaged.