Eating lots of loose minerals...good or bad?

ShadyTreeAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I recently starting putting out loose minerals for my nigerians. I filled up a wall mounted feed bowl about half way and expected them to just eat a tiny bit. They've emptied it twice in the last 5 days! Its one of those black ones from TSC, holds about 4 cups.

Is this normal? Indicative of a problem?

They are also drinking more water, which I attribute to the increased salt intake.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a LOT of minerals! Sometimes they eat too much when you first put it out, but they regulate and only eat what they need after a while. I'm not sure of exactly how much to regulate it as mine never did that!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know that much about goats, but with cattle, they will go at it for a few days and then settle back into a smaller intake. Have had 20 cows eat a 50 lb bag in 2 days if I've let the feeder get empty. One thing I have found is if I put a red salt block in the mineral feeder and pour the loose mineral around it, they seem to eat less of the loose. Then they regulate themselves. But being goats I just can't advise except that is alot. Had they been without for awhile?
As long as they are drinking more water they will flush the excess out and shouldn't get any kind of salt poisoning from it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do not fill it again. They may be deficient but overdoing it at first can cause issues.
Instead sprinkle what the daily ration calls for... example- 1 tsp etc whatever the bag says.

Once they start getting the minerals and get more balance then you should be able to fill them and they regulate.

What kind of minerals?

ShadyTreeAcres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do not fill it again. They may be deficient but overdoing it at first can cause issues.
Instead sprinkle what the daily ration calls for... example- 1 tsp etc whatever the bag says.

Once they start getting the minerals and get more balance then you should be able to fill them and they regulate.

What kind of minerals?

I have a bag of the MannaPro loose minerals.

I will try what you suggest and top dress their feed for awhile. Thanks!