Eating stall bedding.

cluckfan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am using older grass hay for stall bedding (2-3 yrs old) until we run out of it. Its not very good stuff. It was baled after it went to seed, and I know it does not offer much in the way of nutrition. It is clean and dry without any mold. I have just stocked up on some good hay for the winter. Problem is that they are eating this stuff right off the floor. So am I going to be forced to stop using it? The reason I stall them is to limit their grazing. So am I defeating this purpose? Do you think that they will gain weight from eating this old hay. I do not want to overfeed them. I have been using Equine fresh for a long time. Just trying to save a few dollars. I have used old hay before, but never had them eat it like this.???????

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I've never know a horse to over eat hay. They will over do it on grain but not hay. The poorer the quality the more they will have to consume to get the nutrients. I've seen horses eat straw.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Goats do the same thing. But they won't eat their bedding if they have good quality hay to eat. They put away the bedding for fiber. Maybe they like their shredded wheat? Don't know about horses.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i'd let 'em eat it! and be happy too! lol a horse really cant over eat hay, the only time you should worry about comsuming too much hay is when its real green and they arent used to it. id be glad they arent so picky if i were you :D i have a pony who wont eat anything that touches the ground :rolleyes:

if your concerned about them not getting enough nutrition from it, just be sure to give them the new stuff too and id think they will eat that up first before the old stuff.

cluckfan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I won't worry then. Maybe they are just pigs in horse clothes. They eat the good hay and the bedding. OH well I do't have over 20 bales of the old stuff and then will go back to my Equine fresh!

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There are some other alternatives to save money. We purchase sawdust from a local sawmill for bedding at the rate of $15/pickup load. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than pelleted bedding. Just make sure your saw mill doesn't process Black Walnut.

cluckfan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I live almost next door to a sawmill but they charge $25 a scoop. Its all cedar and smells great, but the scoop did not go very far. Thus made it expensive. Would love your supplier. I miss the days of clean straw bedding but Its too hard to pick mini apples out of it!:lol:

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When I was growing up we had a trotting pony we raced. While he was stabled at the race barn he was bedded with straw. He preferred straw to hay and ate all his bedding before he ate the hay. Mom was forever being told to put more straw in the stall so the stall was not bare. After he was retired I kept him in a field that was grass up to his knees. The neighbor kept his dog houses inside the field (weird I know) and what did my pony eat first? The straw out of the dog houses!!!!!! Some horses have the stangest tastes.

cluckfan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That's so funny. yes these animal are individuals for sure! I just give up. Unless I use pelleted bedding they eat it. They are turned out in nices pastures a few hours everyday. They are too fat! Their hay is good quality but alas old crap taste best to them all!:somad