1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Elder doe- urinary/uterine infection?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Junebuggie214, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Sep 18, 2018
    Junebuggie214

Junebuggie214 Herd lurker

I recently acquired a 10 year old Nigerian dwarf doe. She was thought to be in heat (some flagging, clear discharge) the day I brought her home but has not been bred and didn't settle her last breeding in the spring. Good overall body condition and health. Clear discharge went on for 2 days. On day 3 I saw a small drop of bright red blood, but urine was not bloody so I attributed it to heat cycle. Day 4 I started noticing a very "musty" smell in the barn and all discharge was gone. The musty smell has gotten stronger (coming from her stall but cannot smell ON her). Now, 4 or days later, I'm seeing clear discharge again, no smell.
    Urine stream is solid, maybe increased urination (but I dont know her well enough to say for sure), and she always seems to defecate right after urinating. Doesnt cry out, maybe stretching? Again I dont know the goat that well yet.
    Could this be a UTI? Uterine infection? We dont really have any small ruminate vets in my area.. anything I can do at home?