1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Electric fence

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Pigs' started by PittyLova, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Oct 9, 2018
    PittyLova

PittyLova Exploring the pasture

I have a pair of guinea hogs who are about a year old now. I ran electric fence over a 1 and an a half acre area for them to have for grazing, etc. They stayed put for about a month then began breaking out by ducking and running (why they'd break out when they have all of the pasture amd acorns they could want I have no idea). So, I put them into a small pen and ran electric to train them to it better. They never tried to break out. I put them back into just electric (half has a fence to block them from the chickens). As soon as I go inside they're out of it. I'm not sure what else to do.

I plan on putting up a wooden perimeter fence come spring but can't really afford to do that right now or get a bunch of hog panels. Any suggestions to be able to let them out until then? Would the electric tape be better? The fence is consistently reading at 7k so I'm thinking its hot enough and if they happen to test it with a nose or ear they jump away.

2. Oct 9, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

The grass is always greener. Check the fence where they are going under to make sure it isn't grounded out, causing less/no shock. Run multiple strands at varying heights horizontally so they can't duck under at a run and will get zapped at multiple touch points should they try. Make sure the elect wire is tight, not sloppy loose. Barring all that, I guess you'll just have to confine them to a holding pen area until you're able to get adequate fencing to contain them. BTW, if they're smart enough to duck and run under a hot wire, and hogs are very intelligent, they'll soon learn how to climb over a hog panel as well. I'd suggest actual cattle panels or added levels of hot wire with the hog panels.

BTW, I don't own hogs (yet)... Good luck.

PittyLova likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2018
    Simpleterrier

Simpleterrier Loving the herd life

I'd say ur fence ain't working good. Need a good ground and a hot fence. The bigger the charger the better

4. Oct 12, 2018
    High Desert Cowboy

High Desert Cowboy Loving the herd life

It’s been my experience with pigs that they will try to go where they will, like it or not. I don’t believe electric fencing is the way to go, they are smart and can figure out that once they’ve passed it the pains gone. They need a sturdy solid fence to keep them contained.