Electric fencing and kids (human)

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have a bit of chain link fencing that we can tie in with the neighbor's chainlink, but it isn't enough to enclose the whole space, as I want to make sure the goaties have plenty of space to roam.

The lot is rolling with lots of dips (besides me and DH) and depressions, so we were thinking of going with woven wire and wooden fence posts. We thought of adding on hot line at the bottom and on at the top, but am concerned about my 4 and 5 year olds getting buzzed. I'm not sure they will learn as fast as goats. :gig

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Oooh yeah, they will...:gig

Mine each have touched our 1.5 joule horse fence once...and never again.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive been aroud hotwires all my life.an they do have a kick to them.an they could seriously hurt a 4 an 5yr old.so i would not use them around kids.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My girls have grownup with electric fence surrounding our yard. I taught them from little on that the fence "bites" and will hurt if touched. We have never had an issue.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The newer fence chargers send out a very fast, powerful jolt about every second or so. They are not like the older chargers which sent out a long, drawn out charge for about a second, and then were off for a second.

Believe me, your children will learn quickly, and the discomfort will be only a tiny fraction of a second. I've been shocked dozens of times, while it's never pleasant, it's not dangerous.

Just be very careful never to "pee" on a charged wire. lol!

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's a jolt but they wont touch it again....I have personally learned that but it took me twice and both times it involved water....one with my finger in the horses water trough and the other hand put on the wire ...the other time dumping a bucket of water and then bending down and touching it with my big butt ! .....Like farmer Kitty says ....its all in the teaching that it " bites" ....I think everyone that has grown up on or around a farm has been jolted at one point in their life....

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive been jolted alot over the years.ive even grabbed aholt of the hotwire,an had sparks shoot out my elbows.been knocked on my belly a few times as well.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
ive been jolted alot over the years.ive even grabbed aholt of the hotwire,an had sparks shoot out my elbows.been knocked on my belly a few times as well.
That sounds like the old style fencers.

I've been zapped a time or two by fencers. Usually, because I thought they were unplugged and they weren't. I no longer take anyone's word that they are unplugged and check it myself!

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
did yall ever play the game of gabbing the person then the fence so it shocks them instead of you? is was one of our favorites growing up

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes kitty it was the old fencers that would pop the snott out of you.