electric netting

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We were thinking of using this to create temporary fencing around forage areas. Anyone else use this? Pros and Cons? It will be used for Nigerian Dwarfs. Oh, also if you know of the best and most economical brand of netting please share.

Thanks!!!

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I love the electric netting from Premier1. We use it as a movable, temporary pen to allow the goats to forage in brushy areas, and also as a kid pen. Just make sure to use a low-impedence charger (we have a Zareba from TSC) and keep the fence hot. Good luck!

bubba1358

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have 4 sections (12/40/7, a total of 650 feet) and a solar charger. I keep 3 lambs and a donkey inside. I'll add chickens when they're done incubating.
I absolutely love it.
On the plus side, you can shape it to control grazing anywhere you want. The fence packas a good zap, especially when it rains. Here in TN, we are prone to droughts and freezes, so I got the posi/neg from Kencove. I have not wired it that way yet - it's just always hot.
The downside is moving the ground rods. I'd recommend either one with the built-in driver, or else a permanent ground setup with wiring running as far as you need it. This is biggest pain for me. Another downside is that sometimes, especially when the ground is very dry, the fett can crack and warp as you push them in.
Get the double spike nets. They're not the most secure thing out there, but it's the pain barrier you're after. I can't imagine the single spike staying up after a good storm.
I leave my guys in the netting 24/7, but I move it every 7-10 days. I've had one escape, and that was when the neighbor's dog ran through it (he twitched a lot....) and scared donkey into also running through it (again, lots of twitching) on the other side. The fence was fine - one of the black caps needed to be popped back in, and the rods reset, but everything was intact.
Otherwise, they'll get about 4" away from it and then stop.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We use concrete reinforcer panels and step-ins (we just zip tie the panels together). So far so good, but we also have a perimeter fence, so if they did get out they wouldn't go too far. We have ND too and the babies can fit through the holes for the first couple of months. But, they work for us and are cheap. We got the step-ins from the feed store and the reinforcer panels from Lowe's.

Obviously they aren't electrified. So, if you really need electrified then they aren't your best solution but I thought I'd throw them out there for you to consider.
-K

RubThyNeighbor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We got our electric netting for our acreage that borders forest. I am wondering if ours needs this wetness that I hear people mention. I lost my manual already but its the one from Premier 1. I live in Nor Cal so no rain until NOvember probably. I really want them in with my trees next week but I can understand the wet factor.