ElectroNet Warning!

vt_mountainman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Since one section of ElectroNet was completely pulled out and laying on the ground, I'm not really sure how much electricity was flowing through the netting after she got tangled in it. There was some I'm sure, but I expect not as much as usual. As for an update on her condition, she is doing fine and appears to be back to normal now. I'm hoping that she doesn't have any hidden long term effects from the incident.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the electro net works but if the net is touching the ground it was probably grounded out and not much current was getting the animal.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wool sheep and hot net don't really mix. They don't feel it unless they touch the wire with their nose or hoof right at the time the pulse goes off.
Easy for them to spook, jump into it and then panic.

I use strands of hot wire on plastic posts, when I have any dim sheep go through it, they simply snap the hooks on the posts and get free. I could even use wood posts and secure it so it doesn't snap, the sheep will simply flop out the other side.

The net may seem like a great idea, but in the end, it's a lot of work and a lot of room for error.

Better to set up a long term hot wire fence with several strands than hoping a 'catch net' won't catch and tangle a sheep. I mean, if a fish can get many loops around in a catch net, then an animal with 4 legs and a head sticking out from it's body will for sure get royally caught.
Goat people warn about horns, but most people seem to ignore that any animal can get stuck in those little holes when they start to panic.

I believe your fence was a pulse energizer, the constant current ones are highly deadly. Human children have died from them. If it was a constant current, the sheep couldn't of gotten tangled, because the current wouldn't of stopped to allow the animal to react, thus getting tangled, spooked, tangled worse, repeat.

Sheep should be fine, give it a quiet place or with the flock if they prefer, some extra food and just watch from a distance for any odd behavior. Possible that being down for a long time caused some issues, but you should know in a day if it'll be deadly or just a short term side effect.

Latest posts