EMERGENCY: Bloated/Lame Lamb?

Moomoo1024

Just born
Reaction score
Hello
I have a 5 month old lamb who seems to be coming up lame this evening

Walking around with a hunched back, and laying down every 4 steps or so. Legs don't seem to be painful, so I assume it's something in the gut

He's burping and his side doesn't look distended, but I can feel that his rumen side is hard (but again, isn't sticking out)

No change to diet.

If I give bloat meds (which I have on hand) and that turns out not to be the issue, would it hurt him??

Can't get ahold of my vet. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Moomoo1024

Just born
Reaction score
His rumen is making seemingly normal sounds. He's burping a lot. Breathing and gum color is normal, but he's clearly in pain. It's night here and no vets in my area come our for sheep at night
Hope someone has some advice!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is he peeing? What’s his diet? Lots of grain? Has he gotten 2 CD&T shots?

I’d been concerned about urinary calculi/urinary blockage.

Moomoo1024

Just born
Reaction score
Completely up to date on shots. Never gets grain. He just stood up and peed a ton in a solid stream, so it's not stones

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well that’s good because UC would be pretty serious and you’d probably need to get the vet involved.

Moomoo1024

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you for your response

Yeah that's where my head went first too. Just gave some banamine orally... hoping that it can bring him some relief and that he'll just work out whatever digestive problem he's having by morning? He's chewing his cud now, but it's watery so a lot is just falling out of his mouth (which is a chronic problem he has day to day... had the vet out for that before and it's just a mystery 😕) again, any help would be great!