Emergency....Dog Attack!!!

TxMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I left my goats outside of the fence eating brush while I ran over to my sister's house to feed her dogs. STUPID! I know, it was horrible and stupid :hit

When I came back, I saw a black dog run out of my yard. Never seen a dog running around here before, I'm out in the boonies and don't have many neighbors.

My 2 goats (boer cross wethers, 5 months old) have bites/cuts on their front legs...nothing that looks too life threatening, but they are stressed and I know this is an emergency situation. I'm going to the feed store right now to get that CD antitoxin stuff, and some antibiotics...I'll see what they have and do the best I can. I'm leaving right now and will be back shortly. Let me know what else I need to do...

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hugs

Make sure you get the wounds cleaned good. If you decide they are bad enough to need bandaging, make sure it's a breathable bandage. A good antibiotic cream on them may be beneficial too.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
also make sure you get a good woud dressing to spray on the wouds.

TxMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm back...my feed store didn't have the antitoxin :somad the lady handed me toxoid when I asked for antitoxin, and when I said "no, there's a difference", she said "oh, we're out of antitoxin". Ugh. OK, so I assume that's important and I need to go to Tractor Supply to get that. I've seen it there for sure.

I didn't know what kind of antibiotic to get... I saw Tylan 50, LA 200, and I think there was Pennicillin in the refrigerator case. Which is best for dog bites? And how much? I'm sorry...I got so overwhelmed when I was there I couldn't make a decision and the lady helping me was no help at all. She acted like I didn't even need an antibiotic.

She gave me a spray called Granulex V for "treatment of external wounds such as wire cuts, rope burns, abrasions, and lacerations....assists healing by facilitating the removal of necrotic tissue, exudate, and organic debris..."

Sooooo...I have Gentle Iodine 1% to clean it, that Granulex V spray, and Probios. I will go to Tractor Supply for the antitoxin.

Do I need injectable antibiotics? I really don't have any experience with that...what size/kind of syringe and needle do I need?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If she were a cow, I would give penicillin for a few days to help ward of any possibility of infection. You never know what the dog had for germs in it's mouth and I would rather head the infection off before it begins than have to fight it.

Sorry, I don't know what size needle or dosage.

TxMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OK, they're cleaned up real good...it actually doesn't look as bad as I thought...I'm only seeing very small wounds...the blood made them look bigger, but they're not really bleeding too much now. The poor goaties really really didn't like me using all that water on them...as you know, water might as well be hot lava to a goat :rolleyes:

I didn't use the Iodine...the directions say to just spray lightly and leave it...well, I wanted to use that Granulex spray for that. I really like that spray. :D I feel confident the wounds are clean and treated.

They are resting in their little house now...I've seen them nibble on the hay just a little bit, not much. There are ANTS in their house :somad so I crushed the ants I saw and completely coated everything inside and outside their house with Food Grade DE...now I'm not seeing any more moving ants.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They should do just fine...keep the wounds clean and check often for infection. They will be back to normal once they rest up and calm down.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You did a great job, that granulex is good stuff and their wounds should heal nice. Yeah, dogs are the worst because their mouths are full of soo many bacteria :( I hope they both do okay for you...poor lil ones!:hugs

TxMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The goats look really stressed. :( They're barely moving...just laying in their house. They change positions, then lay back down...they're not getting up to walk around. Is this OK...to be expected after a trauma like that? Should I just leave them alone right now to rest? Or try to get them up and moving around...

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have they eaten/drank since the attack? If so, did they eat/drink normally or less?
How are their temps?

I'm a cow person but, if these things were okay on a calf that had been attacked, I would watch them and maybe give something for pain.

I hope a goat person chimes in soon for you.

Latest posts