Emergency ,gave 2 calves their third shot of pen-aqueous

ytailhunter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I 've had two calves with shipping fever and I have given each 1cc per day for two days, Tonight I gave them their last dose and both were behaving wobbley on their feet after. Any of you kind people know why ? Do you think I may have hit the artery? would that cause this reaction.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What is the weight of those calves? 1cc seems like a very tiny dose for all but the very smallest calf. I'd try some Draxxin or Nuflor. Draxxin is by far the best drug I've ever seen for respiratory infections in calves, and Nuflor is also good. Of course, Draxxin is quite a bit more expensive, but it gets results.

Hitting an artery would not cause them to wobble. They most likely are getting weak from lack of oxygen due to their infected lungs. Get this taken care of ASAP, or you will lose them, or else they will have permanent lung damage. Good luck!

Also, pen aqueous is no longer very effective for respiratory problems.

his1911

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
For respiratory Nuflor is good, baytril and tylon 200 are other options, or Micotil although it's Rx and not a generally advised usage anymore, but it was effective.

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, the dosage for Penicillin is 1cc per 100 pounds. If it gets into the bloodstream, it will kill an animal. Penicillin is a more broadbased antibiotic. If it is respiratory problems, Nuflor, LA 200, Excede, Excenel and Draxin are better choices.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't have cows, but based on my goat experience I'm throwing my weight behind Draxxin. Love that stuff! It's more expensive upfront but it's only dosed once of twice and was less expensive than PenG. Oh and it WORKED. Plus I didn't have to chase and stab 7 goats twice a day.

My only caution is that they aren't kidding when they say tissue reactions may occur. 1 goat had a severe reaction to it but it cleared up completely in about a month. (to be fair he also has a severe reaction to even looking at a needle)

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Be EXTREMELY careful if you use Micotil. It is highly toxic to humans, and there is no antidote. I would advise against anyone using it. There have been several vets and ranchers who have died from accidental needle sticks or getting it in open wounds. It is a very dangerous drug to humans, although it works well on cattle.

john in wa

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I think 1 cc is a micro dose. I was always told to give them a large starter dose of 10cc. 5 cc in each hip then follow up for 3 days with 5 cc a day. . i was told this by my long time neighbor and local dairy owner. she told me this years ago when i bought my first day old calf and he came down sick. he bounced right back and that is how i have been treating them ever since.

I should add that this is with Pen Aqueous