Emergency - Goat labor

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
When the birth has been difficult you just go in and get them all. The dam will be exhausted. Give Nutridrench, she will need it. Keep a close eye on her. If she is too weak she may have difficulty with nursing, help clean kids off too.
Monitor the dam. Tomorrow morning take the dam's temperature. Keep an eye on it.

Glad you have the one out. Hope all continues to go well.

Did you wear gloves?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I'm late to the party but @Southern by choice did a great job explaining it all. Whenever I have to pull kids I am always relieved to find legs, any legs. or a tail, or a nose. It is headless or "buttless" goats that I don't like.

I would give her maybe 30 minutes but if she isn't pushing it is up to you to get that other kid out. Or like SBC said, just go and get it; I've done it both ways.

Congratulations on the kid. Good job.

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No gloves. I couldn’t feel with them. Put iodine and sanitizer after washing them. Do I need to get her antibotics tomorrow.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I usually just watch them, check their temp. But I think the gold standard is to start antibiotics after an assisted delivery; but then I don't usually have gold. :\ And I don't usually wear gloves either...too slippery.