Emergency - Goat labor

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad you asked for help when you knew something was wrong. I have seen many cases of people waiting a day or more when their animal is in hard labor and then of course the babies dont make it and the dam is in terrible condition. I saw one instance where there was a cow in labor for three days and she died while the vet was trying to assist her.

Glad for a happy ending, I just love the doeling

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so happy for you, but was just as scared as you were, i came here same as you did...in trouble, i lost the doe and her doeling, she was unknowingly bred when i bought her and another one, total nightmare...they were eight months old and never should of been bred. (Nigerian dwarfs) , i started a journal on here and that has been alot of fun...you may want to do that as you can look back later and see what you have been thru...have fun, keep us posted on those beautifl kids :hugsand get some rest, lol

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am so happy for you, but was just as scared as you were, i came here same as you did...in trouble, i lost the doe and her doeling, she was unknowingly bred when i bought her and another one, total nightmare...they were eight months old and never should of been bred. (Nigerian dwarfs) , i started a journal on here and that has been alot of fun...you may want to do that as you can look back later and see what you have been thru...have fun, keep us posted on those beautifl kids :hugsand get some rest, lol

I am so sorry to hear that. We never really know what the outcome can be.

Dotti and the kids are doing great. The white buckling is named Brawn and the brown doeling is Coco cause she looks like a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallow on top. Lol. I am so proud ofDotti and how attentive she is with both the kids. She is a keeper and very excellent mom. I have been keeping a close eye on her in case there is any after birth complications.

Being a new goat owner and first birth, I sure did not want to go in. I was so worried she would get an infection or uterine tear. So far we look to be clear. Dotti looks normal and is acting normal and eating so I am so relived. When you do not know what you are doing you don’t know what that choice can lead to.

Again I am so thankful for everyone on here being so attentive to me and Dotti and following me through the process of one forum and jumping on another one. I look at my beautiful goats and words can never express how thankful I am for all of y’all.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just noticed you're in TX... There are number of goat folks here stretching from me up near Texarcana, down to SW of DFW where @animalmom is located and continuing down toward Houston and @frustratedearthmother There's a group of BYH'ers up near me that get together every so often (Myself, @Baymule & @Devonviolet ) and visit each other every so often. If you're within range, you'd be most welcome to join in!

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Louannx, I’m so very happy for your outcome. I’m so glad it turn out another way being your first time kidding. Great job! All the way around to you, your goats, and BYHs who were able to get you this amazing first time experience.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just found this new thread from Louannx. I kept looking for a posting under her previous thread "FF . . . ." so thought everything must have gone ok. So happy that you were able to get hold of people who knew what to do and could talk you through it. I am so glad that you made the decision to go in and pull the kids. Too many people are afraid to do it and end up losing kids, and sometimes mom too. It is icky the first time, but after you know what you are doing, it is not bad.

You guys crack me up. Learn to wear gloves! Placenta and birthing fluids contain way more than you want to deal with. ;)

I never use gloves either, I can't feel as well with gloves on. Yeah, that stuff is really nasty. I have had so many water bags burst and drench me as I knelt at the rear end of a doe trying to find a leg, any leg, that I could identify in order to pull a kid! :gig Talk about projectile placental fluid! I swear sometimes the doe actually aimed it at me!

Those kids are adorable! Great that you got a doeling too.

Congratulations on being brave and doing what needed to be done. You saved your doe and her darling babies. Hopefully she will not need kids pulled next time.

Latest posts