EMERGENCY-Lost one doe overnight, another going downhill fast..

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
LOL x2 I read it as "BE BRED MOM" and wondered what that meant....thought maybe you were being hopeful with your goat breeding endeavors. :)

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Lol no that's one part of goat raising we've never had a problem with. Even does that are supposedly sterile get preggers on my farm. I swear my barn is over and ancient fertility rite festival.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
bbredmom said:
LOL, I just realized my screen name isn't accurate anymore. I used to have Black Breasted Red Bantams, but I got out of the banty business.
Thats fine- I am not jodief anymore either- it is JodieM. :lol:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sorry you lost your goats, they can sure be hard on us.You gave it your best shot and you should be proud of your efforts.

I lost one to bloat a few weeks ago. It was a hot day, she took a long drink of water, let her baby nurse for a few minutes, made a pitiful noise and died. It was literally that quick. When she was taking her long drink I looked at her and thought she looked pretty bloated and made a note to keep a close eye on her during chores. I never had a chance. She was a huge fat goat that I had only owned for a few weeks. Everyone thought she was going to kid with quads, she had one, and still looked like there should be 3 more.

A friend did a necropsy for me and found a twisted intestine. The rumen was full, but not with air, but with food, probably 70 lbs worth of alfalfa. You could see the intestines were full of hay, and then it stopped. They were not necrotic so still getting blood, but no food could pass through. She never acted sick, she just kept on eating, and literally ate herself to death.

Watching her die right before my eyes was just really hard to grasp. I was totally helpless, it was very very sad.

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
OH I'm so sorry babsbag.

It got really hot here really fast last weekend, I wonder if that could have had something to do with it.

MY husband had an emergency job lafter work (he's an electrician) so we got home too late to do fecals or check the pasture in the daylight. But everyone else is disgustingly healthy. Happy poo, good color, bouncing about.

Checked the grain-it seems exactly the same. And Speedy and the babies have been eating it too, and no bad effects there.

I'm going to take some adult and baby poo in monday for a fecal, and we are going to check all the pastures this afternoon.

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So two months later, no more sick goats. The decals game back very normal. We wormed last night because everyone's eyelids were looking a little pinkish, and it's been a wretched hot summer. They've been on hay and weeds from the garden, because our pasture is dead from the drought.

So we are thinking its one of three things:

1. They both ate something poisonous, and ate it all before anyone else. And because of the drought, it's hasn't grown back
2. Tarantula, scorpion, or copperhead (which can have a very small bite)
3. Overeating disease

I know it's been a while, but I just wanted to let you guys know everyone else is doing fine. if only we could get some rain...I should not be buying hay in July!