EMERGENCY-Lost one doe overnight, another going downhill fast..

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You said you are in a drought and there is not much in the pasture for them to eat. I would go through and make note of anything that is there. Goats usually don't poison themselves because they tend to aviod the plants that are dangerous. With the brouse being sparse, they may have eaten something that under normal circumstances they wouldn't.

I realy hope you can find out what happened. This is so sad, if you can figure it out it would be so helpful not just for you but the rest of us too.

Glad to see you are handling it well and taking care of things.

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, moping about forever wont take care of my other babies, and I need to make sure this doesn't happen in the future. And since Butterscotch's babys was still nursing for comfort, I'll need to keep a special eye on her, so she doesn't get stress poo.

Its hard on both of us, but especially on my husband when he has to dig a grave. His stepfather growing up as punishment would make him dig a hole and lay down in it for hours, telling him it was his grave if he didn't behave. Horrible, horrible man.

Anyway....

I actually am looking forward to trying my own fecals- I'm a biologist and always enjoyed the microscope labs in school. But I'll definitely double check with vet.

We do have tarantulas on the property, and wolf spiders. I've got the momma pen closed off right now, The babies are in a separate pen and Speedy is staying with the boys at night (our buck has an Olor, so no worries about unexpected breeding) so she isn't so lonely. I dont think Butterscotch was her sister, but they did grow up together, and she misses her. We are going to do a deep cleaning this afternoon and put down fresh straw.

I'm going to look at the grain this afternoon. I didn't buy it, and hubby may have bought the wrong kind, who knows. These things happen. We do have deer in abundance.

Baking soda is on the checklist for sure. We have to go to the grocery store anyway, so no worries.

Where do ya'll order you tubes from? The only ones around here are for horses and cattle, and they seem much too big.

Husband and I talked about it, and I think we are going to wait until the fall to buy another dairy goat. It just too hot right now to move a goat, I think it would stress them. Speedy gives us enough milk for now, and my MIL always has extra frozen she will give us. And it will give us time to save up for a quality goat. I'd like a Nubian/Boer Cross. That's what our buck is, and he's just about the sturdiest animal I know (Knock on wood).

redtailgal

Reaction score
I intend to order this:

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/automatic-syringe/camid/LIV/cp/0032008/cn/330/

It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I think it would serve the purpose of allowing gas to escape.

If that doesnt work, I'll go to the local pet shop and get some aquarium tubing and make what I am looking for.

I dont think that tarantulas and wolf spiders could have cause this.

I love a nubian/boer.........I am a TOTAL sucker for ears.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
You said you are in a drought and there is not much in the pasture for them to eat. I would go through and make note of anything that is there. Goats usually don't poison themselves because they tend to aviod the plants that are dangerous. With the brouse being sparse, they may have eaten something that under normal circumstances they wouldn't.

I realy hope you can find out what happened. This is so sad, if you can figure it out it would be so helpful not just for you but the rest of us too.

Glad to see you are handling it well and taking care of things.
That is a good point.

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok we will go thru both pastures today after we clean out the momma stall.

If I had been in the right state of mind, I would have done a necropsy (I used to work for a vet, so I've assisted before), but I just wasn't up to it emotionally.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Excellent point, Jodie.

If you dont know what something is, bbred, take a pic and post it......someone here will know.

I would LOVE to figure out what caused this, partially from curiosity, but mostly for the protection of the rest of your herd.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Excellent point, Jodie.

If you dont know what something is, bbred, take a pic and post it......someone here will know.

I would LOVE to figure out what caused this, partially from curiosity, but mostly for the protection of the rest of your herd.

X2, I have been following this thread from day 1 and I just wanted to say that I am very sorry for your loss.

Being new to goats and researching all the different problems that can arise I am also curious as to what it was.

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
LOL, I just realized my screen name isn't accurate anymore. I used to have Black Breasted Red Bantams, but I got out of the banty business.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
bbredmom said:
LOL, I just realized my screen name isn't accurate anymore. I used to have Black Breasted Red Bantams, but I got out of the banty business.

LOL I was wondering what it meant. ;) You could ask them to change it, maybe they would!

Latest posts