no longer a emergency, she is all better. Show goat with swollen leg can’t walk!

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Frappe out show Doe got a swollen leg about a week ago. We have smoked it in epson salt and we spray lidocaine on it. It is swollen and hard. It's from the hoof to right above the knee. Her armpit has fluid in it. She can't really walk and is in a lot of pain. We don't want to put her down. We have been giving her duromison (anti-biotic) for the last 5 days. What do y'all think it is and how do we save her. We need something to work if we are putting our best show doe down.

Pictures- first day is the picture where it’s slightly red, and she is on the stand.
Yesterday- on the stand, more swollen and red. Started itching at it and it’s red slightly up
Today-in the bedding. really swollen and upper part red and open.

Attachments

• 3082BFAA-7C1D-429E-9A0B-0CF034CFD4D8.jpeg
    3082BFAA-7C1D-429E-9A0B-0CF034CFD4D8.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 77
  • DFE14F25-00FD-425C-9AC0-F1DAC7DAD12C.jpeg
    DFE14F25-00FD-425C-9AC0-F1DAC7DAD12C.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 75
  • F2D35046-EDD4-4DEC-9B5B-7BEDF5DCDDA7.jpeg
    F2D35046-EDD4-4DEC-9B5B-7BEDF5DCDDA7.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 61

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you guys have foxtails?? Not the soft and tickly ones, the ones that each "seed" is a arrow like thing that penetrates skin and travels inside? Around here in the southwest I'd first guess a foxtail that got in between the toes, worked it's way in and is now abscessing. You've done everything I can think of except if it's a foxtail which would have to be removed.
Fingers crossed for all.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Impacted and badly infected interdigital gland would be my guess. The red spot in first picture is the gland opening. Link had GROSS but detailed pictures.

The vet may need to drain the gland or remove it.
We will look into this. Thanks!
We have a vet friend that is helping us out.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know ish been a long time I kinda forgot about this thread.

So it started as a good problem since her hoofs were to long. So her leave got swollen and she started to limp like the dramatic goat she is. Then once she got her fancy new pedicure she started just chewing on her leg. Like out right boredom. From there it got infected and just got worse and worse and worse. We ended selling her to a friend who had the time to probably handle the care she needed every few hours. She is all good now. No limp but forever a little swollen with scar tissue. No worried tho it makes her legs look bigger boned lol. While we don’t have this goat anymore she is is great hands and about to have babies