Emmadipstik's Journal - Lots of weird things going on here...

Rose N Lynne Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! We live in Southwest Idaho and own about 1 acre. We try to make the most out of that little acre, so far we own 4 goats, Laylie, Nellie, Yoshi, and Napoleon. Two chickens, Goldielocks and Red Devil. We also own a few house pets, a Border Collie named Jazzie, three cats, Bonnie, Snickers, and Midnight, and a corn snake, Red. We have kind of named the farm RoseNLynne Farms. Laylie Yoshi Nellie Napleon and then my name Elizabeth.

We just started this little "Hobby Farm" in September when we bought our first two goats, Laylie and Bella. Bella happened to be a runt, she didn't grow over the two months we had her. She was 7 months old and 17 pounds. We had wormed and vaccinated her, and taken her to the vet, but her health just kept declining. She passed away 2 months after we bought her. Luckily Laylie was growing like a weed, she was 55 pounds and is over 100 pounds now. She has the wackiest personality, and is just thinking All. The. Time. You can see it in her eyes. We waited about a week after Bella died until we decided we had to get another goat or sell Laylie. So we went and picked up Nellie. She is a big goat. Probably weighs in around 120 pounds. She was going to be our pack/cart goat until we realized you cannot touch her legs or belly without being kicked or bitten. I've been trying to "desensitize" her to touch, she's coming along slowly. Now that she's bred, she has been having mood swings. A few days ago she was moping around acting as if she was sad, and then I go out there today and she was running and playing with me and the others. She is the oddball of the herd. Now our boy, Yoshi. We had been searching for a breeding buck, kind of a goat stud, for months, and we could not find one. Finally we decided to take the plunge and buy a buck. This was a huge jump for us, we knew he would get stinky and be a buck, but we went out and met up with a family who was selling their Nubian buck kid for $75. His sire was gorgeous and his dam had an amazing udder. We decided to go ahead and buy him. When we were handing over the money for him, she decided she only wanted $25. He is sweet, and hasn't really gone "bucky" on us yet. We'll see though. About a week ago, we decided to buy a fainting goat. This was the original breed we were going to go with, but we decided to go with Alpines and Nubians. But we found some fainting goats for sale for $75, and we went and looked at them and bought an 8 week old wether. He is the cutest thing. I was able to buy him for only $50 because I sounded so nice on the phone, and the breeder knew he was going to go to a good home.

Now onto the chickens, we had actually been planning to get chickens since two summers ago. My DH sent me to go buy hay for the goats, and we were at the local hatchery. They "happened" to be having a hen sale. It was me and my youngest daughter alone, at a chicken hatchery that was having a hen sale. Not the smartest move my DH could make. We decided we would start off with two hens, and then slowly integrate more into the two that we have now. We went with an Araucana and a Rhode Island Red. Goldielocks is the Araucana, and Red Devil is the Rhode Island Red. We get about two eggs a day, sometimes more sometimes less.

I suppose you would like to see photos of the animals, so here are some.

Laylie
photo%20%2825%29.JPG

photo%20%2816%29.JPG

Nellie
photo%20%2827%29.JPG

photo%20%2814%29.JPG

Yoshi
photo%20%284%29.JPG

photo%20%2831%29.JPG

Napoleon
photo%20%286%29.JPG

photo%20%282%29.JPG

Their pen.
photo%20%2827%29.JPG

Their old shelter, now used for hay storage.
photo%20%2818%29.JPG

Their new shelter. My youngest daughter working on it, it was painted green later, and yes a roof was added.
photo%20%288%29.JPG

What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
We live in Southwest Idaho, it can get very hot or very cold in a short amount of time.

How many people are in your family? Marital status?
Family of four, happily married!

How would you define your farm?
Hobby like farm.

What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
Build a barn...

Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
I've built a mini barn before. Yes, I want to build a full sized barn.

Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
Not a bit :hu

Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
I was born with the love for animals, so my mind inspired me!

Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Hobby, mostly.

In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
I know a lot about goats, horses and most farm animals. Except for chickens, I want to learn more about chickens! :weee

In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
Raising animals for butchering, I could never do that.

Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
Definitely!

Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
Planning my dream house. (With lots of land! Oh and a barn!)

Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
Yes I can drive a tractor.

Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
We make goat milk soap. Yes we have taught some family/friends.

Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
On the amount of land we own we can legally own 1 cow. I have 4 goats and 2 chickens.

Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
Nope.

Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I enjoy growing alfalfa and lettuce.

How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
We live in the middle of no where, but own 1 acre.

Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
I do wood work sometimes, I've built a stanchion, mini barn, potting bench and chicken coop.

If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Alaska, with lots of land :)

Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
Nah. It's pretty much just me.

What is on your to do list?
Build a better chicken coop, build a fold down ramp onto the stanchion, build a barn, and build kidding stalls. Oh and desensitize Nellie :he

Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
Not yet, were getting there. Yes I would enjoy that.

This has been a super long post and if you really read all that then you must be like :caf I will have to keep you all updated, and I promise there will be lots of photos ahead :woot

Rose N Lynne Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
All my goats have dry skin on their nose and ears. Any ideas? I'm thinking they may just be rubbing it on something.

It's gotten much scabbier since I took this picture.
photo%20%287%29.JPG

And just some photos from this evening:

What I see everytime I go out to their pen.
photo%20%288%29.JPG

Nellie being nosy.
photo%20%2810%29.JPG

Nellie looking noble.
photo%20%2811%29.JPG

Laylie enjoying my keychain.
photo%20%2812%29.JPG

Laylie being nosy!
photo%20%2813%29.JPG

I turned around and this is what I see.
photo%20%2814%29.JPG

Laylie is adorable!
photo%20%2816%29.JPG

Just lookin' adorable!
photo%20%2818%29.JPG

On the way out!
photo%20%2820%29.JPG

Goldie our Araucana!
photo%20%2817%29.JPG

Two eggs! One on left is Goldie's, one on right is Red Devil's.
photo%20%2819%29.JPG

Still enjoying my keychain...
photo%20%2815%29.JPG

The back part of the yard. Oh and Jazzie lounging around :rolleyes:
photo%20%2822%29.JPG

Really Laylie?!
photo%20%2821%29.JPG

No really huge updates other than Laylie's soupy diarrhea is gone, and Napoleon's Coccidiosis is gone! There will be a whole lot of photos on this journal, I hope you guys like photos and I'm not crazy... :hide

HankTheTank

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not crazy at all, and we certainly love pictures!! :lol: Laylie is so cute with the keychain!

My goats get some dry skin on their ears in the winter, similar I think to what yours have...I use a product called Bag Balm. It's made for cows udders, but people use it for chapped hands, and dry skin on animals. It works very well

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
HankTheTank said:
Not crazy at all, and we certainly love pictures!! :lol: Laylie is so cute with the keychain!

My goats get some dry skin on their ears in the winter, similar I think to what yours have...I use a product called Bag Balm. It's made for cows udders, but people use it for chapped hands, and dry skin on animals. It works very well
No...You are 100% wrong. Yeah, we LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE pictures... But, once you join BYH... You become crazy....

Speaking of scabs, our doeling has a little spot o her head, no fur there, just dry and scaby. Doesnt seem to bother her, but i dunno.