Emu or Rheas, own some?

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Crazy new thoughts.

Rheas are smaller, but far less common. Are they containable in 4ft fencing, like emu, when hand raised & tame?

Anyone breed to eat them, either one?
How do you get them to brood, maturity age, how long before you butcher? Heat needed for chicks?

How many do you need to be happy?

What should they eat?
I've read different things to feed when you can't get ratite feed, like layer pellet mixed with rabbit feed.

Can they live with other animals?

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a neighbor a long time ago whose boyfriend gave her two eggs to hatch out. At that time the eggs were$600 apiece.
The emus escaped her property one time and they were heck to catch. They are possibly the dumbest animals on Gods earth.
She had wood rail pasture fencing around all the pastures, with a hot wire along the top. The emus got shocked constantly and never learned to stay away from it. She asked the vet what to do about it and he told her to let him know the next time it happened and he'd bring the BBQ sauce.
I would not advise keeping them with other stock.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a neighbor a long time ago whose boyfriend gave her two eggs to hatch out. At that time the eggs were$600 apiece.
The emus escaped her property one time and they were heck to catch. They are possibly the dumbest animals on Gods earth.
She had wood rail pasture fencing around all the pastures, with a hot wire along the top. The emus got shocked constantly and never learned to stay away from it. She asked the vet what to do about it and he told her to let him know the next time it happened and he'd bring the BBQ sauce.
I would not advise keeping them with other stock.

Ginormous chickens, they also don't learn(hotwire).

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Crazy new thoughts.

Rheas are smaller, but far less common. Are they containable in 4ft fencing, like emu, when hand raised & tame?

Anyone breed to eat them, either one?
How do you get them to brood, maturity age, how long before you butcher? Heat needed for chicks?

How many do you need to be happy?

What should they eat?
I've read different things to feed when you can't get ratite feed, like layer pellet mixed with rabbit feed.

Can they live with other animals?
Emus are generally very gentle birds and generally are friendly, depending on how they are raised. ... We have never killed any of our emus, they were our pets. The exception to this is the rheas. The male rheas are very aggressive and can be dangerous.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
A long time ago, I stumbled across the Ratite section over on BYC, and started reading some of the threads. This one in particular was interesting and informative:

There were a few other ones that followed some people’s hatches, and another especially interesting one was by an Australian guy who lived in the boonies and documented the lives of the semi-tame wild emus that inhabited his property.

It was all very fascinating, and made me kind of wish emus were a possibility for me. I would suggest reading some of the threads about emus on BYC and see if you don’t learn everything you might need to know. That will either convince you to get some, or confirm why not to. I’ll try to see if I can find that guy’s threads. He had about 3 different user names there over the years since he kept losing his old account information.