Emu or Rheas, own some?

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, I found one of the threads from the guy and it mentions two of his usernames. Supreme Emu and Tame Emu Guy. The last (current?) one is briefvisit.

This link is to the thread where he had to tell everyone his new username. I think if you go to All Threads Started by Supreme Emu, you will find the start of his documenting his emu “flock”. I don’t know. Maybe I’m the only person who enjoys going back and reading old stories about people’s lives and animals. :hu
It was pretty cool, though, getting to “know” someone living in the outback.

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
New to me, either one. Biggest bird I've kept is Peking duck.
Still expensive, 200-400 an egg or unsexed chick, when I did a quick local search.
There’s a nursery near my home that has a pet emu pretty laid back. I seen a egg for 25 on Craigslist and chicks was 125 last year. I’m not sure how they do shipped but eBay have eggs for 50 each

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Crazy new thoughts.

Rheas are smaller, but far less common. Are they containable in 4ft fencing, like emu, when hand raised & tame?

Anyone breed to eat them, either one?
How do you get them to brood, maturity age, how long before you butcher? Heat needed for chicks?

How many do you need to be happy?

What should they eat?
I've read different things to feed when you can't get ratite feed, like layer pellet mixed with rabbit feed.

Can they live with other animals?
This is will emu behaviour, you should try to stroke your arm, most emus tolerate it. But you need to continue to get a very tame emu while it's still a chick and make it bond with you. You should try feeding it by hand as well.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Crazy new thoughts.

Rheas are smaller, but far less common. Are they containable in 4ft fencing, like emu, when hand raised & tame?

Anyone breed to eat them, either one?
How do you get them to brood, maturity age, how long before you butcher? Heat needed for chicks?

How many do you need to be happy?

What should they eat?
I've read different things to feed when you can't get ratite feed, like layer pellet mixed with rabbit feed.

Can they live with other animals?
No, Rheas, they don't make good pets. They are wild animals, and they have not been bred by humans for a long time to ensure a docile and friendly animal. Some people keep them on farms, but you need to thoroughly understand how to take care of these birds if you want to use them in agriculture.

Latest posts