End of the World snow storm pics!

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I finally uploaded my pictures from or last snow storm. This was 12/21/2012 so it was my 'end of the world'! Dbf got up early and went to work, Land lady (LL, who lives on the same property in a separate house) got up and went to work. I went out to shovel snow of the chicken coops and goat shelters and as I'm doing that I notice branches are starting to break and trees are cracking half way up and falling. So I'm home alone tending to the zoo and the sky is falling. Now, I come from the San Francisco bay area, a mile from the beach, so I wasn't used to living in the snow until about 3 years ago. Our old place was at about 2400' elevation. Last april we moved to about 3000'. So this is my first winter at the 'snow line'. So I'm outside and I watch a big branch fall and almost take out all my coops and one goat shelter. Not sure how but it landed in between all of the coops. Landed on the fence in 2 places and nicked the goat shelter a little but thats it, thankfully!!

I come back inside, because again, the sky is falling! BOOM! power goes out. The sound made me think a tree fell on the house but nope.. not yet anyways! We live on the main road and I ran outside and the power pole across the street snapped in half and was hanging in mid air above the road with trees on the line on either side of it. GREAT! So I came back in and called the pge emergency # and reported it. I was on the porch taking pictures and a big oak branch fell out of the tree right in front of the LL's house(we're talking a branch about a foot in diameter) Okay.. time to go inside. I was freezing, wet, and now's a good time to mention we use electric heaters. No wood stove in our little shack and thankfully we bought a kerosene heater because we were expecting this. My dad also gave me his generator when I was visiting for thanksgiving.

So I get weird feeling sometimes before bad things happen. Its a bad feeling in my stomach and I know something not good is gonna happen. So something made me want to go outside. I head to the goat pen which isn't far from my house and I notice a cedar swaying over the house going Crack. Pop! Uht Oh, Seor! And really, what do you do?? Well you're supposed to run in and grab all your cats and the baby goat in the carrier thats sitting in the living room right under where the tree is about to fall. I totally forgot! I was too busy trying to get enough cell service to call or text my boyfriend I didn't even rememer all the animals in the house. Ooops! So me and the PGE guy watched the tree fall on my little house!! It was soo scary. It fell within 3 minutes of me going outside and noticing it. All the animals ended up being fine and the tree didn't even cause major damage.. and miraculously it missed the truck by inches..

Power was out for 3 days and we didn't have phone for a week and a half. Plus we dont get cell service up here. We managed and I'm glad everyone and everything was okay! I'd say we got 12-18 inches of snow. Not that much but enough to do some damage to the forest.

So now that I've told my story here are some pics!! A lot of pics.

I posted this one on the end of the world thread before the world came crashing down. Funny the snowshow is named "Snowball"!
snowcats.jpg

IMG_7999_zps88b28623.jpg

10 minute break in the snow. Thats my goat pen and the chicken coops are in the back. All the way to the left in the pic.
IMG_8000_zps8b34b8dc.jpg

Our little shack before the tree fell on it.
IMG_8024_zps616284aa.jpg

Snow goats:
IMG_8004_zps84d8926c.jpg

Knuckle Head, my wether.
IMG_8009.jpg

Squirt, the Lamancha! This was the beginning of her worst naughty streak yet.. She's such a turd lately.
IMG_8055.jpg

Knuckle Head makng funny ears!
IMG_8011_zpsff0a69a3.jpg

Lol. its blurry, but this is how the storm actually felt.
IMG_8019_zpsc1c6cfae.jpg

The goats teeter totter
IMG_8020_zpsdcf72990.jpg

Branch in the goat pen. This came off a HUGE incence cedar. The base is probably 5 ft in diameter so the branch is the size of a small tree. Actually you can see part of the tree in the left of the pic. I use this as a chicken common area during the day for my 3 coops or use it as a second goat pen if I need to separate them for some reason.
IMG_8042_zps351c85f5.jpg

IMG_8044_zps1628fcb6.jpg

IMG_8046_zps16e572ad.jpg

IMG_8047_zps24f9839e.jpg

Mad goats because I shut the gate. Squirt would surely jump out if I didnt!
IMG_8051_zpsf881b3bb.jpg

Power pole floating in mid air over the road.
IMG_8031_zpsed50eaca.jpg

Tree on the lines just down from it. There was another larger tree on the lines just up from it but I didn't get a still pic of it, only video..
IMG_8065_zps647d648f.jpg

Can anyone guess which tree is about to fall on my house?
IMG_8068_zps82f89ea2.jpg

You can see the phone lines underneith it too.. those are LL's phone lines. Ours came off that power pole that was snapped.
IMG_8073_zpsb43fb225.jpg

IMG_8071_zpsb5faf65e.jpg

IMG_8076_zps63dcbc47.jpg

Oak branch that missed LL's house. Came off the HUGE black oak.
IMG_8070_zps2a091158.jpg

and these were the "sceanery" pics taken before everything started falling!

Somewhere I have a pic of this whole tree. Its another GIANT tree.
IMG_8001_zps8bd6f1ee.jpg

IMG_8063.jpg

One of my favorites. I love taking these kind of pics. I would have had a whole lot more if it wasn't so dangerous to be outside.
IMG_8057.jpg

Fence.
IMG_8018.jpg

The "meadow".
IMG_8025_zps95f8e9ef.jpg

IMG_8059_zps89d88ac2.jpg

IMG_8028_zpsf7ae6a85.jpg

My brooder and fire pit.
IMG_8040_zpsb542914c.jpg

Muffy
IMG_8037_zpse28172ff.jpg

And our little commuter. Somewhere..
IMG_8032_zps4469aef4.jpg

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Glad noone was hurt. The goats will enjoy cleaning up the fallen branches for you! ;)

I couldn't help but picture chicken little running around yelling "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!":lol: :hide

Neat snow pictures too. Yep, I couldn't live somewhere that got that much snow.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
My first thoughts were, "Wow is that beautiful" follow by "Oh crud! " when I saw all of the tree damage.

That one picture, the fifth from the bottom, is so so so pretty.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Those are great photos, and my gosh, what a lot of snow!! I love the look on that cat's face.

Thanks for the pics.

DonnaBelle

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow that's a serious storm. Very glad to read no one hurt. I remember being stranded in yosemite for days in the late 70's. We got hammered with snow recently too.