Enough Space?

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would like to hear your guys' opinions and experiences about the following. I've been looking at the space we'll have for our various critters that we'd like and I need to know if I'm being realistic. We're going to have just over a quarter of an acre (11,200 sq ft) available for animals. This will include about 20 chickens, a few turkeys and 2-4 goats (very likely Kinders). I'm tossing around the idea of a couple of feeder pigs as well. Everything I've read says to keep pigs separated from any other livestock BUT I've also read that American Guinea Hogs are mild mannered enough to be able to be kept with other animals.

I've discussed the fact that being in high desert country we do not have productive land for grazing unless I water A LOT and I do not want to do that. We have a lot of sagebrush, bitterbrush and rabbitbrush. So here are my questions:

Is a quarter of an acre large enough to keep the animals I want?

We would be breeding our goats so we can have milk and meat. Bucks need to be separate I assume? Should he be kept with a whether for company? What size pen could they comfortably live in with our limited space? Will sharing a fence line with does make milk taste differently?

Are AGH able to be kept with other animals? What kind of space do they need?

I understand more space is better for everyone but we are limited. I want to be realistic about what we can comfortably have. I know we're going to have to bring in feed because of where we live. Our land is more sandy than dirt so it drains well and we don't have a huge problem with mud. Everyone will be closed up at night in their respective space to avoid predators.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are intending to do about forage on this 1/4 ac (106' X106') and that many animals?

You will run out of room very quickly I suspect and the animals be pretty cramped up.

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We had friends who had a situation about like yours, maybe even a little less space, and their animals were happy and healthy. They didn't forage though, they fed hay and grain for 100% of the critters' feed.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We will be feeding hay and grain. I know the limitations of the land and am envious of folks with green pastures. Unfortunately we do not have that luxury.

RoahT

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We will be feeding hay and grain. I know the limitations of the land and am envious of folks with green pastures. Unfortunately we do not have that luxury.
Yeah, I understand. We Rocky Mountain people in Colorado don't either. :\

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have chickens, goats and American Guinea Hogs, but with considerably more space. My AGH's are indeed very friendly and get along well with the other animals with exceptions. They will eat any and every egg they can find! You also wouldn't want them to be around a goat when they are kidding. One of my does kidded a bit prematurely last year and had I not been there the hog would definitely had a cabrito lunch treat. Other than that - I love my AGH's. They've got personality plus, no boar taint, birth easily and taste great!

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother Do you keep bucks in with the does or keep them separated so you know approximate kidding dates? How do you feed with everyone being together? In your opinion, is what I have too little space to keep the peace? I've looked at the space and changing it up a bit can have everyone on a third of an acre (not much more but better). If I have a separate space in a goat barn for kidding, do you think that might work? What about farrowing (IF we ever breed)?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't keep bucks and does together - I prefer to have breeding dates so I know when the does are due.

Even though the does and the pigs share the big pasture it's not too hard to keep them separate while feeding. I set the goat feed down on the outside of their fence (where their feeders hang). They stand there staring at the bucket and drool while I feed the pigs. While the goats are waiting patiently, I go on the other side of the barn and put the pig feed out....they're smart enough to know to hide from the goats while they eat, lol. Then I go back and feed the goats. They eat out of feeders that are on the outside of their fence - they stick their heads through the stock panels and the pigs can't get their head through anyway.

Definitely have a separate area for the does to kid in and make it secure. Even though Guinea hogs are a smaller breed they are very strong. My boar has been known to pick up hog panels and even pull metal fence posts out of the ground while doing it! Lesson - hot wire and/or big wooden posts.

Farrowing shouldn't be a problem. The goats sure won't bother the pigs - they prefer to steer clear of the pigs anyway.

My chickens free range and get feed tossed on the ground. If I put it in a feeder something else would eat it - you don't want your goats to get it. It's a good thing chickens are quick! And, they will sneak in and steal feed from everyone else...they're not picky.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother Thank you so much for all of the info! It helps me a with figuring this all out. Do you keep your sows with boars? At what age do you allow kids to mingle safely with everyone? We'll have a coop that no one but the chickens will have access to the inside. Their feed will be inside the coop. Will the goats and pigs break into the coop to get to chicken feed? My previous coop had a small (12" x 12") door for the chickens to go in and out of their coop. Do you disbud/dehorn your goats?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
You're welcome!

I keep sows and boars separated most of the time. Sometimes they have ideas of their own. But, since we have piglets now it's pretty safe for them to be together - but they will start breeding again as soon as the piglets are weaned. I'll probably separate boars and sows this weekend.

I usually bring does up to a smaller barn in a separate area to kid. I'll keep them up until I get kids tamed down if they're being dam raised. Makes it easier to separate mama's and babies so I can sneak a little milk for us. If that area gets too crowded or I don't plan to milk that particular doe they can go back out in to the big pasture. As soon as the kids are mobile they're safe from the pigs...and the pigs aren't interested in them at that point. I'm just speaking to MY pigs and MY experiences - it might be different with any other pigs.

Also, I have LGD's that prefer the pigs stay far away from the kids. That one time I had trouble with the pigs trying to get a newborn was when the majority of the herd and the dogs were in a different pasture. My dogs have the pigs pretty well trained.

Make your chicken coop strong because both pigs and goats will try to sneak in and get the chicken feed. Chicken wire won't keep either one out.

I do disbud.