enterotoxemia

Aquando

Just born
Reaction score
Last night my best ram lamb died suddenly at 5 months of age. He had been vaccinated three months ago for Enterotoxemia, but he got it anyway and died. At 9:30 P.M. he appeared fine and playful. When I checked this morning at 8:00 A.M., he was cold and stiff, his eyes already opaque. How can this happen so quickly and without any symptoms? Has anyone else had an experience like this? This is my first in the six years I've had sheep.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
OMG, I'm sorry!! :( That is terrible.

I havn't even herd of this. Both of my sheep were vaccinated before I got them (I've only had them a couple of months). I tried to look it up in my "Sheep Bible" but couldn't find it. Does it go by another name?

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
OMG, I'm sorry!! :( That is terrible.

I havn't even herd of this. Both of my sheep were vaccinated before I got them (I've only had them a couple of months). I tried to look it up in my "Sheep Bible" but couldn't find it. Does it go by another name?
http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/overeat.html

according to this it is overeating disease, which we vaccinate for when you give your animals the CD/T vaccine. our two goats got the vaccine on saturday.

I was reading up yesterday on CD/T vaccines, and there has been research (I can't remember the article or website) that the CD/T vaccine is best given 2 to 3 weeks after birth because moms own protection can interfere with the effectiveness of the vaccine? or something like that.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Aquando said:
Last night my best ram lamb died suddenly at 5 months of age. He had been vaccinated three months ago for Enterotoxemia, but he got it anyway and died. At 9:30 P.M. he appeared fine and playful. When I checked this morning at 8:00 A.M., he was cold and stiff, his eyes already opaque. How can this happen so quickly and without any symptoms? Has anyone else had an experience like this? This is my first in the six years I've had sheep.
"animals with enterotoxemia are frequently found dead, without symptoms. The disease progresses rapidly and often strikes the best-doing lambs. When symptoms are observed, they are often confused with other diseases such as e.coli scours or polio. Affected lambs will appear depressed, may grind their teeth, twitch or convulse. Abdominal pain is common."

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh also, was he vaccinated twice as indicated on the vaccine bottle?

"Lambs should receive their first vaccination when they are about four weeks of age, followed by a second injection at six weeks. "

If not, that might explain why he got the disease despite being vaccinated. I also read that ewes should/can be vaccinated 30 days before lambing to provide the lamb with temporary immunity through the mothers colostrum until they themselves can be vaccinated.

Aquando

Just born
Reaction score
Yes, the lamb was vaccinated with CD/T. His mother was vaccinated at the proper time before lambing also. Up until this year I always used Covexin 8 and never had a problem. Yesterday, I vaccinated the whole lamb crop with Covexin 8 just in case the CD/T was at fault. It takes seven days at least to start working, so I'm hoping and praying.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Really, I guess sometimes vaccines fail. I'm probably wrong, but occasionally you see it in humans where they are given a vaccine against ..Flu even, and yet they still catch it (although, a much weaker case of it).

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
It must be noted by all goat/sheep owners that vaccinating for entero is NO REAL PROTECTION. While it will help to some degree, you MUST keep C/D antitoxin on hand at all times and use it whenever you have entero symptoms - or even a change that might bring on entero or any type of digestive upset.

Yes, entero will kill in a matter of hours. I'm so sorry you lost this fellow...please be sure to stock up on antitoxin with the farthest away expiration date you can find, and make yourself aware of treatment dosages and protocols.

As said before, no vaccine is 100% protection from the illness it prevents - especially when you're dealing with a bacterial illness.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
It must be noted by all goat/sheep owners that vaccinating for entero is NO REAL PROTECTION. While it will help to some degree, you MUST keep C/D antitoxin on hand at all times and use it whenever you have entero symptoms - or even a change that might bring on entero or any type of digestive upset.

Yes, entero will kill in a matter of hours. I'm so sorry you lost this fellow...please be sure to stock up on antitoxin with the farthest away expiration date you can find, and make yourself aware of treatment dosages and protocols.

As said before, no vaccine is 100% protection from the illness it prevents - especially when you're dealing with a bacterial illness.
:D You are going to love me, the C/D anti-toxin is different from the vaccine correct? It's like vaccine is preventitive measure, anti-toxin is treatment. Can I get the anti-toxin at the co-op or tsc or does it have to come from a vet?

Latest posts