Ethical Carnivores

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes you need electric inside to keep the goats from rubbing or putting their feet up on it. Mine is broken in many places from them doing just that. I am going to put my bucks in cattle panels because they would break welded wire quite promptly! Lol
Story of my life with the rubbing and standing on the fence! I'm glad I have a steel welded fence. Welded wire is a joke if it doesn't have something really sturdy holding it up or something else to make them respect it. We are lining our fence with it, but it is not a supportive measure, just a preventative since the goats can slip through our fencing (5 "strands" of welded pipe). That is about all it is good for.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's pretty imperative you keep your dog home, I shot at one a couple of weeks ago for slinking around being naughty. Had it been harassing or killing my livestock, I would have aimed at it instead of in front of it. Not everyone will warn your dog off with a shot that doesn't hit it.

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Story of my life with the rubbing and standing on the fence! I'm glad I have a steel welded fence. Welded wire is a joke if it doesn't have something really sturdy holding it up or something else to make them respect it. We are lining our fence with it, but it is not a supportive measure, just a preventative since the goats can slip through our fencing (5 "strands" of welded pipe). That is about all it is good for.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's pretty imperative you keep your dog home, I shot at one a couple of weeks ago for slinking around being naughty. Had it been harassing or killing my livestock, I would have aimed at it instead of in front of it. Not everyone will warn your dog off with a shot that doesn't hit it.

Yes, I would absolutely need the dog to stay home. I don't like when people leave their dogs to roam, so I don't want mine to be.

So if I understand correctly, I should return the welded that I have? It's getting shipped to the store so I can return it then. The woven cost about 230$/100ft, the welded I got on sale for 100$/100ft (the regular price isn't that far off from the woven, it's just that the woven is never in stock.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is the $230/100'? That sounds pretty expensive.

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/non-climb-horse-fence-48-in-x-200-ft?cm_vc=-10005

This is what we have fenced our 8 acres with.....and the 100'x70' garden and the pastures we have divided it up into.

What is the $230/100'? That sounds pretty expensive.

The 230$/100ft is for the same type of fence that @Baymule linked to. I looked a bit on this forum and saw that people were buying theres for much less, but where I live this is the cheapest I can get. The hardware stores only sell welded, and fencing companies charge much much much more. There are only 2 farm stores that I know of in the area, and the other only sells welded 2x4". Woven starts at 4"x4", which I don't want. So basically, am I better off spending less and getting 5' high fence for 100$/100ft welded, or should I get the woven at 4' (for 5' it's 299$) for $230/100ft, even if that means the animals will have a lot less space for a while?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, I know the Canadian $ is less than the USA $ but not almost half! I suppose you wouldn't make out going down to NY (or MI if you are on the western side of Ontario) to a TSC and bringing it back, they would probably charge some sort of import duty right? Stuff is heavy too. $1.25 US ($1.67 Canadian)/ft for the 4' @Baymule linked vs $2.30 (Canadian)/ft for the equivilent you found. Does the price of what you found include sales tax? The stuff Bay linked would be $1.34 US/ft here in Vermont with tax.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is pricey!

Honestly though, if you can spend the extra money and invest in a good fence! We started with welded wire, but have had to replace it. It gets costly to put a fence up twice!

We were never able to get a good stretch on the welded wire. The welds pop when trying to stretch it!

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow, I know the Canadian $ is less than the USA $ but not almost half! I suppose you wouldn't make out going down to NY (or MI if you are on the western side of Ontario) to a TSC and bringing it back, they would probably charge some sort of import duty right? Stuff is heavy too. $1.25 US ($1.67 Canadian)/ft for the 4' @Baymule linked vs $2.30 (Canadian)/ft for the equivilent you found. Does the price of what you found include sales tax? The stuff Bay linked would be $1.34 US/ft here in Vermont with tax.

I actually never even considered purchasing it in the US. I would have to see how far the store is and how much they charge at the border, but it's worth considering. The cost doesn't include tax. With tax it ends up being 2.60$/ft. The store told me that most people don't buy the woven, they either get welded 2"x4", or the ones with bigger holes (which the chickens would easily pass through, as would my rabbit.

Wow, that is pricey!

Honestly though, if you can spend the extra money and invest in a good fence! We started with welded wire, but have had to replace it. It gets costly to put a fence up twice!

We were never able to get a good stretch on the welded wire. The welds pop when trying to stretch it!

I was surprised at how expensive it was too. I can get 500ft of welded for the price of 200ft woven. But if the welded won't last, then it is even more expensive. I guess I'll probably return what is on it's way (I don't have it yet, and have 60 days to return once I do, so it gives me time) and hope there is a sale for the woven. Last summer they had a lot of sales for fencing, which occasionally included woven. We weren't ready at that time, but now we will be.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
As @Goat Whisperer said, put enough (meaning proper) tension on the welded wire and some of the welds might pop even if the animals never touch it. Then they can make their own 4x4 holes in a 2x4 fence. Of course it would take them some time to find those weak spots.

But I feel the pain of your decision. I went with woven sheep and goat and woven field fence because it only needed to keep the dog in and was about the same price as the no climb horse fence but for 330'. Had I known that I would not be able to keep the dog and was actually fencing predators out, I would have spent the money on the 2x4 woven fencing.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
How many and what kind of animals are you keeping? I don't love my welded wire but, if you put up electric top and bottom and are keeping fewer/smaller livestock and not keeping bucks or rams, it might be ok.

Latest posts