Ethical Carnivores

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
:th$14? I spend $50/month on two 50 lb house dogs...

Are they chihuahuas? :D

Yep...they only consume around 55 lbs of feed per month, sometimes much less if it's hunting/butchering season. I can get a 40# bag of dog food for $10.99 here at Rural King. Since they aren't highly active dogs, I can get by feeding 18% protein for most of the year.

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's much less than I was expecting! I had asked some friends who had dogs, and they were spending around 50$ a month for larger dogs, like NH homesteader seems to spend (if you added the two dogs into one). If I was able to find dog food that cheap, it would be doable.

I was also wondering, do LGD's get lonely? I know most are bred to be independent, but still. I feel kinda bad about leaving them outside all the time, but wouldn't be able to bring them in.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's much less than I was expecting! I had asked some friends who had dogs, and they were spending around 50$ a month for larger dogs, like NH homesteader seems to spend (if you added the two dogs into one). If I was able to find dog food that cheap, it would be doable.

I was also wondering, do LGD's get lonely? I know most are bred to be independent, but still. I feel kinda bad about leaving them outside all the time, but wouldn't be able to bring them in.

They tend to bond with their flocks if you are using them for ruminants. They also enjoy companionship of their own species...I think it increases their life span if they have their own species for socialization and play.

They enjoy our company immensely, but at the end of the day, they enjoy being outdoors much, much more, especially if they have a job to do. I feel that is true for all animals, if they are given a choice from birth.

If you raise any dog outdoors from a pup and one day bring him in the house when he's a bit older, you'd soon see him wanting to get back out there. It's their natural environment and pretty much all creatures thrive better in their natural environment.

It's only us silly humans that think that dogs are lonely for us and want to live in our big ol' box all their lives. Sure, they like to come in and be a part of our lives, but if given a choice they are built for outdoors and they thrive there.

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's what my grandparents said as well. They used to have 5 large dogs before I was born. I guess I'm just a softie that way. I feel bad about not bringing them in at night.

Lol, my animals have me wrapped around their fingers. Even my pet rabbit has access to our yard almost everyday (we rabbit-proofed as much as we could our fence for him).

I just realized that I forgot to reply to your mention of the sheep, @Beekissed . I am glad to hear from someone else that they are great! I really want to get some maybe next year for meat (but the breeding stock will be "productive pets").

Thank you for all the information you guys have given me! I'll almost certainly get muscovy ducks @Alibo , eventually sheep, and definitely consider the dogs. I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled for predators during the day at first, and if we have issues, we'll get the dog. I'm too attached to my animals for them to get killed (and not even eaten. If at least the racoons needed them for food, it wouldn't be as bad. We had a cat kill a bunch of quails and just leave them there. We don't even know how since the cage was still locked and closed when we got there).

However, as I'm writing this, I'm guessing that if I needed a dog right away, it would need to be an adult? How long does it take for a puppy to be useful?

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I only have 1 dog, an Australian Cattle Dog. He's worth his weight (40 lbs) in gold though. I do feed conventional dog food, and it takes him more than a month to scarf down a 40# bag of it. I do not supplement with meat from the farm since I don't have any yet. I lost my last 2 litters of rabbits to the cold weather, and the quail just hatched. However, he will get bones and whatnot from processing rabbits and quail both.
He's not quite a year old and I love that I didn't really have to teach him to herd, he just does it automatically. Really the only thing that we've had to teach him is to stop herding when told, because he does get over-zealous.

Definitely not a livestock guardian breed, but very good if you want something that will alert you, and he will chase off other dogs if I let him. I don't know how he'd fare with coyotes, as he sleeps in the house at night, but he's also an excellent guard dog for the people in my home.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it depends on the dog... Supposedly Spanish Alanos are good outdoor dogs that can withstand heat and cold and aren't good indoor dogs... Tell that to the one sleeping on the couch right now. I think dogs get lonely, but it also depends on the dog. Some are more independent than others.

I spend more on dog food because cheap dog food doesn't agree with my chow mix. I spend less than I used to now that my Alano is 2 1/2 and not growing much any more.

Anyway I would say you need to survey the area to see if you need a LGD. There are threads on here (some I have started even) about LGD vs. Farm dog, and how to determine if you need one or the other. In my current situation I'm good with my farm/house dogs. They are inside at night but I've had goats for 3 years with no issues. Only lost chickens when they didn't go in the coop at night.

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a difference. I did some reading after seeing your comment, and I'm pretty sure then that I actually want a farm dog. If I'm not misunderstanding - LGDs = stay with animals all the time, protect only animals, and not necessarily super friendly (like for cuddles and stuff)

Farm dog = dog that stays with animals, protects them while he's there, but also comes occasionally for pets and protects humans when they are outside.

Am I right?

Because if I got a dog, I would want one that I can pet and hug occasionally (but always outside), and would sometimes follow me when I'm outside, especially at night (I hate walking outside in the dark), but would want him or her to protect the animals when we aren't outside.

JoyfulGoats

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I looked at dog food prices, and found some for adult dogs at what would end up to be 20$/month. It says "for dogs under a moderate work regime". Would this be moderate? I would think so since they aren't constantly running after predators.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
and not necessarily super friendly (like for cuddles and stuff)
I have two LGD's - an Anatolian Shepherd and a Pyrenees - and they are both big ol' cuddle bugs. But, we raised them with affection - don't believe in tossing them out in the field and ignoring them. :) Both of them 'take care of me' too when I'm in the pasture after/before dark.