Evaluate my show goat

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hay y’all, I have a breeding boer doe. I was wondering if y’all could see where she needs more mussel and how to get it. She is going to a show the first week of March

Attachments

• 82D11FDE-3DDB-4738-98C3-BB34BF55D308.jpeg
    82D11FDE-3DDB-4738-98C3-BB34BF55D308.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 84

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Muscling in breeding stock and market animals is different. You don't need the extreme muscling in brood does that you do to win a championship in a market class. It is hard to judge an animal by photos alone. If you have the Boer Goat Standard of Perfection, you should read it over with your goat in front of you. Compare the different points of your doe to the Standard. If you don't have copy of the Standard of Perfection, get one.

Look for a nice thick doe that conforms to the show standard. While she should show good muscling that she will pass on to her kids, she should be feminine looking too. She should have a slightly wedge shape to her. You want more width in the rear, not just the muscling, but width between the hip and pin bones to allow easy kidding. You want a deep body in a breeding doe - remember she has to feed both herself as well as her growing kids so will need plenty of rumen space to take in enough food. Same thing with chest depth and length of body. Do not overlook the importance of feet and legs which must be sturdy enough to support her as she moves in search of food.
Finally, although udders do not have the amount of point value as in dairy goats, the Boer doe must have good attachments to make sure her udder will last over the years of production expected of her. The udder should be high arched and wide at the top of the escutcheon. A pendulous udder with attachments that have broken down will make it harder for the kids to nurse. A pendulous udder can also be damaged in the pasture on brush or rocky areas. Damaged udders cannot feed kids. A doe with a damaged or sore udder may not allow her kids to nurse. Udder health is just as important in meat production breeding stock as in dairy.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Muscling in breeding stock and market animals is different. You don't need the extreme muscling in brood does that you do to win a championship in a market class. It is hard to judge an animal by photos alone. If you have the Boer Goat Standard of Perfection, you should read it over with your goat in front of you. Compare the different points of your doe to the Standard. If you don't have copy of the Standard of Perfection, get one.

Look for a nice thick doe that conforms to the show standard. While she should show good muscling that she will pass on to her kids, she should be feminine looking too. She should have a slightly wedge shape to her. You want more width in the rear, not just the muscling, but width between the hip and pin bones to allow easy kidding. You want a deep body in a breeding doe - remember she has to feed both herself as well as her growing kids so will need plenty of rumen space to take in enough food. Same thing with chest depth and length of body. Do not overlook the importance of feet and legs which must be sturdy enough to support her as she moves in search of food.
Finally, although udders do not have the amount of point value as in dairy goats, the Boer doe must have good attachments to make sure her udder will last over the years of production expected of her. The udder should be high arched and wide at the top of the escutcheon. A pendulous udder with attachments that have broken down will make it harder for the kids to nurse. A pendulous udder can also be damaged in the pasture on brush or rocky areas. Damaged udders cannot feed kids. A doe with a damaged or sore udder may not allow her kids to nurse. Udder health is just as important in meat production breeding stock as in dairy.
I will look into getting one. Where are they sold? So I’m thinking that she needs to build more butt mussels and less shoulder mussels. She kinda looks like a box on legs. Her legs are really thick so I think that’s good. I’m bad at this udder thing so I will see if anyone else gets that part. She has an extra tete. Her body is a lot beeper then the other goats here. Is there a way to make her look deeper bodied?