1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen leaves are they harmful?

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Llamas and Alpacas' started by mocnarf, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Apr 17, 2017
    mocnarf

mocnarf Exploring the pasture

In my pasture, there are several trees, Cedar Trees, and Douglas Fir trees. My alpacas constantly nibble on the branches or more specifically the needles. I try to discourage it but they also manage to get into them. I have looked online to see if evergreens are harmful to Alpacas and can not find any specific info about it. For sheep, it is not a problem. I have not noticed any problem with their poop nor with their general health and they have been eating these leaves for quite some time. Does anyone have any additional knowledge about this. Is it enough of a problem for me to be concerned?

2. Apr 18, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I find references online to Llamas eating evergreens with no problems. I know goats can eat them, love them actually. I would bet that the alpacas are fine with them but if you ever breed them they 'might' cause abortions if they eat them while pregnant. I have to watch that with my goats.

3. May 9, 2017
    greybeard

greybeard True BYH Addict

Make sure the cedars are in fact cedar and not yew.
    yew=bad.

babsbag likes this.