Everything Bull?

LavacaW

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a lead on a possible bull to go with my four cow/heifers. He is a 5 year old proven bull. He is being sold because the owner feels they need more diversity (many of their current stock are out of this bull).
How long does a bull normally stay in service? These are Dexter cattle we are talking about and they usually start breeding earlier than the larger breeds. What questions do I need to be asking other than test results required by the ADCA?
I plan to visit this bull in the pasture to make sure he is the gentle soul I have been assured he is. What should I look for besides build and conditioning?
I NEED HELP!

LavacaW

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A little help would go a long way... :idunno

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a lead on a possible bull to go with my four cow/heifers. He is a 5 year old proven bull. He is being sold because the owner feels they need more diversity (many of their current stock are out of this bull).

How long does a bull normally stay in service?
All the time. Maximum number of cows that a mature bull like him can service is 25-30. He'll be looking and sniffing the air for more cows to breed, if you have a neighbor within a mile away from you with cows or heifers, just beware; this is especially after he's done tending to his first four you put him with.

You could take the chance with him, but if I were you, instead of buying a bull that is worth half of your herd and then some that takes extra feed and care than the cows you have already, I'd go the AI route and keep with that until you've got a sizable herd that a bull can service no problem.

But even then...:/

These are Dexter cattle we are talking about and they usually start breeding earlier than the larger breeds. What questions do I need to be asking other than test results required by the ADCA?
Ask to see the dam/sire or photos of him; ask to see his calves, like what colour he throws, birth weights, maternal ability of daughter heifers, those sort of things.

I plan to visit this bull in the pasture to make sure he is the gentle soul I have been assured he is. What should I look for besides build and conditioning?
I NEED HELP!
I assume by "build" you mean conformation, correct? With this you'll have to look at more than his feet and legs, capacity, topline, masculinity, deepness in the rib cage, but also at his testes, see any BBSE test results they've gotten from him (if they've got any). I wouldn't worry about conditioning as much because there's a lot that fat can cover up when the owners are feeding him extra feed to make him look good. But something tells me that they don't do the extra graining thing; but nonetheless, he should be in good shape for breeding.

Hope that helps you some.

LavacaW

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
When I asked how long they stay in service, I was thinking years...
I am going to see some of his offspring in a pasture near me tomorrow.
Next weekend, I am making the trip up to where he is. If I don't
like the looks of the calves he throws, I probably won't go any further.

beefy

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
you can keep him as long as he will hold out if you prevent inbreeding by selling his offspring or penning them separately. i have had bulls breed up to 10 years of age before i got rid of them. you will want to make sure he still has good legs and feet and can get around well. this is the main problem with older bulls. they carry so much weight around on legs and joints. condition will depend on his nutrition, how much of it he has and how many cows hes been servicing. 5 year old bulls start to get a little rangey looking on account of their teeth at that age. another thing to consider when getting a used bull is possibility of bringing in venereal diseases

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
beefy said:
you can keep him as long as he will hold out if you prevent inbreeding by selling his offspring or penning them separately. i have had bulls breed up to 10 years of age before i got rid of them. you will want to make sure he still has good legs and feet and can get around well. this is the main problem with older bulls. they carry so much weight around on legs and joints. condition will depend on his nutrition, how much of it he has and how many cows hes been servicing. 5 year old bulls start to get a little rangey looking on account of their teeth at that age. another thing to consider when getting a used bull is possibility of bringing in venereal diseases
Good post Beefy, you said all that I was going to say.

Latest posts